Andrews Sends Himself Out In Style

Andrew Andrews picked the perfect time to finish out his Husky home career. The fifth-year senior from Portland scored a career-high 47 points - only two off the Washington all-time single-game mark - to lead the Huskies to a 99-91 win over Washington State Wednesday night at Alaska Airlines Arena.

“There were a couple guys joking with me before saying that I was going to cry because that’s kind of been the trend of these ceremonies," Andrews told the media post-game about his Senior Night. "I was like ‘man, I don’t know. I’m not crying. That’s one thing I’m not going to do, is cry.’ I was telling Ashley they almost got when the thank you started going on with my teammates just talking about their time here with me. Then my grandma and my mom started crying. Once you see other people start to cry you get a little bit emotional. Not enough to get my to cry, but it was heartfelt and I appreciate it a lot.”

“Well, that was fun to watch a fifth year senior, who has been so loyal to this program, go out like that with a win," Washington Head Coach Lorenzo Romar added. "And it was such a great offensive performance. That was pretty special.”

Dejounte Murray added 15 for the Huskies (17-13, 9-9), while Josh Hawkinson led three Washington State (9-21, 1-17) in double-figures with 23 points and 17 rebounds.

It wasn't necessarily an auspicious start for Andrews, who missed his first jumper - but then he buried a three from the top of the key with 17:31 to play in the first half, and he was fouled by WSU's Charles Callison. Andrews converted the rare four-point play, but he wouldn't score another point until two free throws with 9:13 remaining. 

Then he went to work, scoring 14 points the rest of the half, a half of play that was capped off with a Murray jump shot from the Space Needle that went in as time expired, giving Washington a 10-point cushion at intermission.

“We got up four," Romar said of Andrews' run late. "Once we got up four, I thought that was enough cushion for us to relax a little bit. We really started to play. Dejounte (Murray)’s shot got it up to 10, but I thought we were starting to go before then. When we came out in the second half, I thought our guys came out and played with a lot of purpose on both ends.”

And Andrews was just getting warmed up. 

After hitting a jumper early after the break, Andrews buried two threes to help the Huskies extend their lead to 19 with a 15-6 run. 

A Que Johnson jumper cut UW's lead to 15, but Andrews hit another three from outside. Every time Johnson would respond with points, Andrews would holler right back with more. 

By the time he was subbed out with eight minutes to go in the game, Andrews had scored 22 points in 12 second-half minutes of play, and 42 overall.  At that point Washington's lead was 25.

A Noah Dickerson jumper pushed it even more, but then the Cougars buckled down, scoring 10-straight points during a stretch of three minutes and 26 seconds. A Hawkinson jumper cut the lead to 17 with 3:50 to play. Washington's David Crisp stopped the bleeding with a layin, but the Cougars continued to chip away. 

Ny Redding's layup with 1:11 left cut the Huskies' lead to 89-79, and that's when Andrew came back for one more curtain call. 

“We were losing the lead a little too fast," Romar said. "Once I saw they started to press us, then it was fair game to bring him back in because obviously he’s our best foul shooter and a very good ball handler. That’s why we brought him back in.”

Washington was able to force a missed WSU shot and Malik Dime was fouled. He made both free throws to restore some sanity. But Johnson's three the next trip down reduced UW's lead to single-digits, and that's when Andrews calmed proceedings down again with two more free throws. Dime made two more free throws after he was fouled with 25 seconds to play to really put the game out of reach, but Andrews still was within touching distance of Bob Houbregs' all-time single-game scoring record of 49 points, set against Idaho on January 10, 1953. 

Andrews was fouled with 18 seconds left and made both free throws, giving him 46. That meant second all-time, breaking Houbregs' 45-point performance against Seattle University on March 13, 1953. He was fouled one last time with five seconds to play, and even though he wouldn't have been able to tie the record Andrews still could have made it to 48 but missed the front end of a two-shot foul. 

Romar admitted that, while the game was going on he wasn't aware of Houbregs' mark and just how close Andrews was to breaking it. 

“When it’s senior night you try to let them do something special," Romar said. "I thought 40 was special. Like I said, I didn’t know what the scoring record was during the heat of the battle – during the game.

“He’s a senior. It’s his last time at home. Maybe you call me a poor sport, but it’s his last time. We talk about seniors, and something you never forget about is your last home game. That would have been even more unforgettable. Either case he’s not going to forget that.”

"I think this was very similar to my championship game my senior year in high school, where I had 42 and everything was just going the right way," added Andrews. "Everything was falling. When you get in that type of zone you kind of just black out and start playing. I don’t know.

"It’s kind of surreal.”


POST-GAME VIDEO - Lorenzo Romar

POST-GAME VIDEO - Andrew Andrews

------------------------------------- Top Stories