Washington Media Relations

Washington Falls to Dandenong Rangers, 100-96 in Overtime

MELBOURNE, Australia – Freshman Markelle Fultz and sophomore David Crisp combined for 60 points in the Huskies foreign tour opener against the Dandenong Rangers Wednesday night in front of a sold out crowd of 3,000 at the Dandenong Stadium. In a game filled with 13 ties and 10 lead changes, Dandenong came out with the 100-96 overtime win.

“We now have 45 minutes of film of us playing against a veteran team that is well-skilled and polished and we can take that film to show our guys and get better from today’s game,” said head coach Lorenzo Romar. “That’s one of the reasons you take these trips, so you can see your team in a real-game experience and learn and get better from it.”

Fultz, playing for the first time in purple and gold, had a stellar night despite the loss, and was key down the stretch for UW. He scored 17 of his 33 points in the fourth quarter alone including a deep three with 32.9 seconds left that tied the game at 86-all sending it to overtime. Fultz did a little bit of everything for the Dawgs, dishing out seven assists and recording four blocks, one of which he chased down from the opposite end of the court as the Ranger player thought he had a clear breakaway.

“Markelle was very good tonight,” said Romar. “David and him combined for 60 points and they just played off of each other very well. The way Markelle plays opens up his teammates and it gives them confidence which was good to see.”

Crisp followed Fultz’s lead and put up 27 points of his own off the bench while also pulling down four rebounds and dishing out two assists. Entering the third quarter with just seven points in the books, Crisp got hot and knocked down four three’s in a span of three minutes.

Senior Malik Dime had 14 boards to lead the Huskies, who outrebounded Dandenong 51-38. Noah Dickerson added 10 while Dime and Fultz each blocked four shots.

Washington jumped out to an early 19-9 lead thanks to six points from Dickerson and but the Rangers responded with eight-straight to cut the lead to two with the quarter going on to end UW up 21-17.  The second quarter started the same as the Dawgs got their biggest lead of the night at 33-21 with 4:50 left in the half. The Rangers then went on another run sending the teams to the half UW leading 37-32.

The third quarter was when Crisp got hot, knocking down his four threes in a span of three minutes to put UW up 53-50. Dandenong wouldn’t go away from that point on, matching basket for basket before taking a 61-56 lead entering the final 10 minutes.

Fultz and Crisp took over in the fourth quarter, first with two reverse layups then a steal which led to a massive slam dunk that had the crowd on its feet to tie the game at 64. He would also go on to score the game-tying basket with a deep 3 with 32.9 seconds left and then followed that with his fourth block of the night to secure the overtime period.

Washington kept it close in the OT period, taking a 94-93 with 1:27 left but a few costly fouls led to the Rangers taking home the 100-96 victory. Up next, the Huskies will take on the Frankston Blues at 2 a.m. PT on Thursday, Aug. 3.

Here is a link to the live box score

Dawgman.com Top Stories