I speak of course, of the gift of trivia.
I come of good genetic stock when it comes to trivial matters... Just this season, my Dad (the Honorable Ron Johnson) is ranked #6 in the Pac-10 Pundits Pool, in which he proved adept in picking the scores of all games involving Pac-10 teams (and was #1 for four weeks). For the time being, we will ignore the fact that I am holding firm with a #165 ranking. It is touching indeed, to see the two of us ruling the football universe with an iron fist, father and son (ahem).
So without further adieu, let's break down the scoring system, and then get right to it.
15 Questions Answered correctly
15 - You have the football brain of a God 13-14 - You bleed purple and are a true Husky 9-12 - You can feel proud that you are reasonably adept 5-8 - You have some issues to deal with 1-4 - You need to look in the mirror and question your self-worth 0 - Turn in your tickets and find another hobby
Here we go.... (these start easy and get progressively more difficult)
1. In the 2001 Rose Bowl, Washington defeated which team 34-24?
2. In the 1992 Rose Bowl, which UW wide receiver struck a Heisman pose following a touchdown reception?
4. In a dramatic 1979 win over Oregon, which Husky returned a punt for a touchdown to win the game?
5. In the 1989 Freedom Bowl, which Florida All-American running back was held to 17 yards rushing in a Husky blowout?
6. Which Husky was named MVP of two different Rose Bowls?
7. Which UW running back ran for 152 yards against USC in 1995, despite playing on a broken foot?
8. Which bruising UW fullback from the mid-1970s went on to have a productive career with the Chicago Bears?
9. In 1978, which opposing Pac-10 coach punched his own punter in the facemask, after a 7-yard shank at Husky Stadium?
10. In the 1991 victory over Nebraska in Lincoln, which Husky scored the final touchdown via a 81-yard run?
11. Which Husky intercepted an NCAA record 14 passes in the 1968 season?
12. In 1985 Washington drove 98 yards on their final drive to beat which team?
13. In the 1930s there were several UW players recruited from Chicago by a loyal alumnus named Dr. Alfred Strauss. What nickname was given to these players?
14. In 1979 Washington won the Sun Bowl 14-7 over which team?
15. Washington legend George Wilson had a brother on the team who was an excellent player in his own right. What was his first name?
Scroll below for the answers:
UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW UW
1. Purdue 2. Mario Bailey 3. Mark Brunell 4. Mark Lee 5. Emmitt Smith 6. Bob Schloredt 7. Leon Neal 8. Robin Earl 9. Frank Kush 10. Jay Berry 11. Al Worley 12. Southern California 13. Strauss Boys 14. Texas 15. Abe
Derek Johnson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org