Ala Close to Decision?

<b>Brandon Ala</b> may be coming to the end of the road. The 6-3, 220-pound senior defensive end for Kamehameha High School in Honolulu, Hawaii is starting to come to terms with the decision that will determine where he spends the next 4 or 5 years of his life.

"Everything is good right now, but I am starting to get some pressure from all the schools," Ala told last night. The three schools that are making the biggest push right now are Washington, Oregon and Hawaii, with Utah and Washington State being the other schools in the periphery.

"I really don't know when I'm going to make a decision, but I'm thinking it's going to be soon," Brandon said. "I really like all three."

Coach Greatwood is recruiting Brandon for the Ducks. "He told me that ever since the first time he saw me that I was the number one guy on his list," Ala said. "He said that they want me badly and that if it takes until midnight the night before signing day to get me to commit, there will be a scholarship waiting for me."

And the Huskies? Tom Williams is handling the recruiting chores over there. "I've missed talking to him, unfortunately," he said. "My coach has been letting me know that he's been in contact with him, trying to find me. I know that he's been saying that he doesn't know how long a scholarship is going to be available to me. He wants me to make a commitment."

That's where the rub is. It would be an easier decision for Ala if all three of his favorites were tied, but he acknowledged that one official visit has stood out so far among the rest. "The Washington trip, for sure," he said. "It was just everything - the environment, the coaching staff, Coach Neuheisel, the players, facilities, academics...everything."

He also said that it would be nice to play with fellow islanders like Willie Kava and Joseph Lobendahn, but that won't play as big a role in his decision. "Knowing guys like (Jonathan) Mapu and Donny (Mateaki) are looking at Washington is nice," he said. "It makes me think about playing with them, but I have to make the decision for myself."

Brandon is keeping UH in the back pocket in case things don't pan out on the mainland. "I do think I want to go away for college," he said. "But UH is there in the bank." He cancelled a visit to Wisconsin that was supposed to happen last weekend but insists he'll take at least one more before making up his mind. "I know I need to take at least one more visit to make sure," he said.

Right now Brandon doesn't have any official dates set for any visits, and either UH, Utah or Washington State may get his last trip. "It'll probably be UH (Hawaii)," he said. Top Stories