Second-half collapse ends UW season

The No. 9 ranked Oregon Ducks struggled mightily before halftime but outscored the Washington Huskies by 29 in the second half to win 86-64 this afternoon at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The loss boots the eighth-seeded Huskies out of the Pacific-10 Tournament, thus ending their season.

Oregon (23-7) was led by Luke Jackson, who scored 16 of his game-high 27 points after halftime. Freddie Jones, the Ducks' leading scorer this season, also found his rythym in the final 20 minutes, scoring 13 during that stretch to finish with 15. Luke Ridnour added 11 points and six assists.

Washington (11-18) had Oregon on its heels in the first half, forcing UO into 11 turnovers to gain control of the game early on. Using an 11-0 run, the Huskies pulled ahead 19-10. Later in the half, with the UW ahead 35-28, an Erroll Knight three-pointer and CJ Massingale layin upped the Husky advantage to 12 at 40-28.

Oregon ended the half with some momentum, hitting two three pointers to get it down to a 42-35 margin as the teams headed into the locker rooms.

The freshman Knight went 4-4 from the field and scored 10 points before half. Doug Wrenn led the Huskies with 12.

A problem with the shot clocks caused about a 10 minute delay seconds into the second half, but once the conflict was resolved the Ducks simply took over, building on the momentum they began late in the first half. Back-to-back three pointers from Jackson and Jones made it a one point game, forcing Washington Head Coach Bob Bender to quickly call for a timeout to calm his team.

His efforts failed.

A steal by Jones on the next Husky possession resulted in a thunderous dunk at the other end, and another long-range three-ball from Jackson shortly thereafter gave Oregon a lead it would never again surrender. Oregon outscored the Huskies 51-22 to the final horn.

The win was Oregon's second over Washington in three games this season.

Wrenn led the Huskies with 14 points, scoring only two after halftime. David Dixon, the senior center, scored 12 points in his final game in the Purple and Gold. Knight finished with 10, going scoreless after intermission. Top Stories