Bruins clip Dawgs at the tape

Maurice Drew leaped into the end zone with 1:08 remaining in the game to give #20 UCLA a 21-17 win over Washington this evening in Pasadena, California. Washington led the entire contest before Drew's touchdown run.

Washington played their best game of the season, giving the Bruins all they could handle. The Huskies used an effective rushing attack behind Louis Rankin's 109 yards. Isaiah Stanback added 51 ground yards and a score while Kenny James had 52 more and a touchdown.

Stanback added 188 passing yards, finding Craig Chambers four times for 65 yards.

The Husky defense stood tall all evening, until giving up a big play on the final drive of the football game.

Maurice Drew was held to just 33 yards, and Drew Olson was shut down most of the game, but came up big on the final drive where he completed six of seven passes. For the game, Olson connected on 29 of 44 attempts for 287 yards and two TDs.

The 1st quarter was all Washington, as the Husky offense grinded away the clock and limited the Bruin offense to just two possessions, including one three and out.

Washington drew first blood with an Evan Knudson connected from 18-yards away, putting the Dawgs on top 3-0 with 5:00 remaining in the first quarter.

The Huskies built it to 10-0, as their next drive was highlighted by the Huskies converting a fourth and one near midfield with a Stanback sneak. Kenny James capped the drive with a 20-yard touchdown, running behind the left side of the Husky line, which had collapsed UCLA's defensive front.

Washington looked to add to their lead, and had a 20-yard gain early in the second quarter when James Sims took a screen pass and ran upfield, but Jarrad Page caused him to cough up the ball.

The Husky defense came up big, however. They stopped UCLA when Joe Lobendahn tipped a Drew Olson pass, causing the ball to ricochet off of Scott White's helmet, and Josh Okoebor caught the ball for the interception.

UCLA looked to have finally gotten on the board when Maurice Drew-Jones rambled 64 yards on a punt return for an apparent touchdown, but a block in the back nullified the score. The Bruins would turn the ball over three plays later, as Wilson Afoa hit Drew Olson's arm, causing the ball to flutter short. Joe Lobendahn made the interception to keep the Bruins off the scoreboard.

As the half came to a close, Evan Knudson attempted a 56-yard field goal but a high snap blew the timing of the boot as it was true but fell five yards short.

A special teams mistake by Washington allowed the home team to sneak back into the game. Husky return man Anthony Russo bobbled a punt early in the third quarter, and the Bruins recovered on the Husky 27.

The turnover sparked the Bruins to life, as Olson connected with Joe Cowan for 23 yards. Two plays later he found Marcedes Lewis for a four-yard touchdown and the Bruins were awake.

Louis Rankin busted loose for a nifty 49-yard run. Rankin got outside on the left side of UCLA's defense and then cut it back inside before finally getting run down at the Bruin 16. Kenny James came in and added a seven yard carry, but then the drive stalled. The Huskies special teams once again let them down as Knudson missed a 29-yard chip shot.

Washington pushed the lead back to 10, but did it in a strange fashion. Kenny James carried it 9 yards, down inside the one, before fumbling into the end zone and UCLA recovered. The play was originally ruled a touchdown but a review of the play showed that James had not crossed the plane, and the Huskies received a huge break when it was further ruled that James' forward motion was stopped just inside the one before fumbling. Stanback snuck it in on the next play and the Dawgs led 17-7 with 3:18 left in the third.

The Bruin offense came alive after the Husky score, going 80 yards in 11 plays, aided by a Roy Lewis pass interference penalty near the goal line. Michael Pitre caught a 1-yard touchdown to cap the drive and make it a 3-point game as the fourth quarter opened.

Sean Douglas nailed a perfect 34-yard punt, pinning the Bruins inside their own two. That allowed the Huskies to play both offense and defense on the UCLA side of midfield for the next three drives.

With 5:27 left, Louis Rankin broke free for a 49-yard touchdown run but it was wiped out by a holding penalty on Tusi Sa'au. A replay showed it to be a very marginal call, but Washington was denied. A false start penalty pushed the Dawgs back further and the drive stalled at midfield. Douglas booted the ball back to UCLA and the Bruins took over on their 27-yard line with 3:39 left in the game.

UCLA converted a fourth and two with an Olson connection to Andrew Baumgartner. Then came the back-breaker, a 39-yard Olson to Marcus Everett throw and run. Everett made the catch for what looked to be a four-yard gain, but then broke three Husky tackles down the sideline and was finally brought down near the Husky 20. Three plays later Drew vaulted into the end zone to end Washington's upset bid.

The Bruins improve to 4-0 and take on Cal next Saturday. Washington falls to 1-4 and will head to Oregon in two weeks. Top Stories