Huskies lose nailbiter

PALO ALTO, Calif. Washington let a five-point lead slip away over the final five minutes Thursday night at Maples Pavilion, falling 78-77.

The Huskies had a chance to tie in the final seconds after Taj Finger's second free throw fell short, making it 78-75, but Phil Nelson's three-point leaner fell short. Jon Brockman laid in the rebound, but with only 0.2 second remaining on the clock. Stanford's final inbounds pass sealed the Cardinal win.

The loss was the 14th in a row for the Huskies at Maples Pavilion, and dropped the suddenly reeling team from the Northwest to 1-4 in the Pacific-10 Conference.

Brockman led all scorers with 23 points, but that only told half the story. The burly sophomore added 10 rebounds and led the Huskies tremendous effort on the glass all night. Washington (11-5) outrebounded Stanford by a 39-30 margin.

The Cardinal made up for it with timely free throws in the final minutes, improving to 10-4 overall and 2-2 in the conference.

Sophomore guard Anthony Goods led the Cardinal with 19 points. Lawrence Hill chipped in 18, while Robin Lopez and Brook Lopez added 17 and 12 respectively.

The Lopez twins also accounted for seven blocked shots, and will undoubtedly be a force to be reckoned with for years to come in the Pac-10.

The Huskies held a 71-66 lead with possession when coach Lorenzo Romar called timeout with 5:03 remaining. Coming out of the break in action, the Huskies came out with a well executed play, getting the ball to a wide open Brockman streaking to the rim. But Brockman's dunk attempt was blocked, and no foul was called. That kept the UW lead at five, and seemed to shift momentum to the home team.

Stanford answered with back-to-back baskets to draw within one, and the game stayed close the rest of the way.

With Washington down one and 1:36 remaining, Spencer Hawes stepped to the free throw line for two shots looking to be the hero after a disappointing night. The struggles continued for Hawes, however, as both shots glanced off the back iron. Hawes finished the night 3-12 from the field with six points and eight boards.

But after a defensive stop, UW looked to be in control, taking the lead on a driving layin from Justin Dentmon, who was fouled on the play and connected on the free throw to make it a 74-72 game.

On the Cardinal's next possession, the Huskies forced another missed shot, but after Hawes yanked down the rebound the ball was ripped out of his hands, leading to a layin and foul by Hill. Hill sunk the free throw, again giving Stanford the lead. A free throw by Quincy Pondexter tied the score again with 29.6 seconds left, but an inexplicable foul on Ryan Appleby on the ensuing inbounds pass put the cool-shooting Goods to the free throw line for two shots.

He nailed them both.

UW called timeout, but turned the ball over on an errant pass in the lane by Nelson. They were forced to foul, sending Finger to the line.

The Huskies trailed at half 38-36, thanks in large part to 13 points and three 3-pointers from Goods and eight from Hill. UW was led at half by Brockman's 10.
Game Notes:
Up and Comers: Heading into Thursday, Washington's underclassmen accounted for 80 percent of the Huskies scoring, 87 percent of their rebounds and 77 percent of the team's minutes.

Next Up: The Huskies head across the bay to face Cal on Saturday. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.
Husky Stats:
Points: Brockman 23, Dentmon 15, Oliver 10, Pondexter 9, Nelson 7, Hawes 6, Appleby 5, Wallace 2

Rebounds: Brockman 10, Hawes 8, Dentmon 5, Oliver 4, Pondexter 3, Appleby 2, Nelson 2, Wallace 2

Assists: Hawes 3, Oliver 3, Appleby 2, Brockman 1, Dentmon 1

Steals: Oliver 3, Hawes 1, Appleby 1, Dentmon 1, Wallace 1

Blocks: Hawes 1

Turnovers: Brockman 3, Hawes 3, Dentmon 3, Oliver 2, Nelson 1, Appleby 1, Wallace 1 Top Stories