Mullarkey eyes visit to Montlake

When your teammate is widely considered one of the top defensive ends in the country, it can be tough to get noticed. However, Desert Vista DE Danny Mullarkey is a player who brings his own impressive resume to the table. caught up with Mullarkey recently and he updated us on recruiting and his planned trip to Montlake that got sidetracked before it began.

"I wanted to come up there for a visit so I could check out their spring game, but I got really sick right beforehand," Mullarkey said regretfully. "I was so sick the day before, I couldn't even get out of bed, so I'm planning to check them out this summer at some point.

"Washington was my first offer and that is big in my book. I want to check them out and see what they are all about. I have a lot of respect for coach (Tyrone) Willingham and coach (Chris) Tormey is a good guy and I like him a lot."

As a junior, Mullarkey garnered 2nd Team All-5A State and 1st Team All-Region and All-Conference honors after notching 87 tackles and 10.5 sacks while his cohort on the other side, Devon Kennard, had managed to post 24.5 sacks.

"Yeah we did a lot of damage," Mullarkey said with a chuckle. "He made it easy on me because the offenses were worried about him, but they were pretty focused on me toward the end, so it was a learning experience for me."

Besides the Washington offer, Mullarkey said he's also hearing from Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, Stanford and Boise State.

"USC, UCLA and Arizona State have all been by our school," Mullarkey said. "ASU would be great because they are so close to home, but I'm open to everyone and I really like Washington a lot so, I'm not close to making a decision.

"I'm hoping that I can get Devon to come up (to Seattle) with me, so he can check them out since they have offered him too. We are good friends, but we don't necessarily have to end up at the same school. We're teammates and friends, but we have to make our own decisions on that stuff, but I'd love to get him to come up there with me for a visit."

Mullarkey said he's unsure of his timetable for making a final decision, but he'll check out a few schools this summer and then see where things sit.

"If I'm ready before my season I'll make my decision," Mullarkey said. "If I need to wait a while, then I'll wait. It's all about the feel and whether I'm ready to make my decision or not."

We'll continue to follow Mullarkey's progress over the coming weeks and months and update things as they happen.

Danny Mullarkey Scout Profile Top Stories