Here's a look at some of the players Washington and USC battled over and who might be giving the Huskies a look now that it's an almost certainty that Pete Carroll will leave USC for the head coaching job with the Seattle Seahawks...
1) Kaiser (Fontana, Ca.) LB/DE Josh Shirley - (Status: Uncommitted) Shirley has been in Washington's sights since last spring and he visited Montlake and rushed the field when the Huskies beat USC 16-13 in late September. It has long been thought that the talented pass-rusher was a USC-lean, but Washington and Arizona had both made a strong impression on him and now that Carroll is headed north Shirley could be viewing Washington as a viable alternative.
2) Kaiser CB Anthony Brown - (Status: USC Commit) I spoke with Anthony and his father and both said they talked about things and he had decided to remain committed to the Trojans. Don't be surprised if Washington keeps working on the physically-gifted defensive back and he gives them a long look before it's all said and done.
3) Palomar (San Marcos, Ca.) OT Brice Schwab - (Status: USC Commit) Washington offered Schwab early in the process, but when USC extended a full-ride, the talented JUCO offensive lineman made a quick commitment. I spoke with Schwab very briefly on Saturday and he said he isn't talking to anyone in the media and had no comment. From what I've been able to gather through other sources, the big offensive lineman will wait to see who the Trojans hire before he makes a final decision, but don't be surprised if he starts looking around. I do not expect Washington to get into the mix very heavily though, since they are pretty full along the offensive line and without a USC offer Schwab was probably headed back to the east coast where he prepped.
4) Lakewood (Ca.) S Dion Bailey - (Status: USC Commit) Bailey was interested in Washington early on, even making an unofficial visit during spring football. He committed during the summer after USC extended an offer and has remained steadfast in his decision. However, with Carroll and staff leaving, Washington may get back into the mix. Some close to the situation have noted that he will keep an open mind, but will likely remain committed to the Trojans. Don't be surprised if he takes a visit or two before signing day.
5) St. Bonaventure (Ventura, Ca.) Giovanni Di Poalo - (Status: USC Commit) Another player the Huskies were in on early in the process and seemed to have leaning their way until USC offered him. Di Poalo fills a need for a young center and that would allow the Huskies to move Colin Tanigawa, the projected center in this class, to guard. I haven't been able to reach Di Poalo to get his thoughts, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he decided to look around with all of the change going on at USC.
6) Don Antonio Lugo (Chino, Ca.) DT George Uko - (Status: USC Commit) It came down to USC and Oregon for Uko's commitment and now with things where they are, don't be surprised if Uko starts re-thinking his commitment. Rumors are that Uko was a long-time USC silent-verbal before going public on Christmas Day, but now, one of the best defensive linemen in the country could start looking around again and it wouldn't be a shock if he headed to Eugene before it's all said and done.
7) Temple (Tx.) RB Lache Seastrunk - (Status: Uncommitted) Seastrunk was probably headed to USC, but now with the uncertainty surrounding their program, don't be surprised if he decides to go to sign with Oregon a school he admits "wowed" him when he visited them in December. LaMichael James has a lock on the running back position with the Ducks, but Seastrunk would be a nice addition to their depth at the position as well.
8) St. Francis (La Canada, Ca.) S Dietrich Riley - (Status: Uncommitted) The talented athlete could play running back, wide receiver or safety at the next level and he's long been rumored to be a heavy USC lean. However, he could now opt to look at Cal, Arizona, Washington and Michigan more heavily. He's already visited Tennessee and Notre Dame and was scheduled to visit USC next weekend where he likely would have committed. Now, things appear to be a bit up in the air for him.
9) Corona (Ca.) CB Demetrius Wright - (Status: USC Commit) Wright committed to USC even with the news of Carroll's likely departure. He won't be wavering.
There's a quick overview as far as recruiting is concerned. The domino-effect of Carroll leaving and the possible hiring of coaches like Mike Riley at Oregon State or Jim Harbaugh at Stanford more recruits could come on the market as we get closer to signing day.
Change at USC: Recruiting Impact
Dawgman.com Top Stories
Week Seven INTERNal AffairsEach week, our intrepid UW intern Luke Mounger goes deep into the heart of the Husky to tackle the latest issues. This week, Luke reflects on the buzz around campus before the…
Dawgman.comYesterday at 10:18 AM
Visit List - Oregon StateWashington will host one official visitor and a handful of unofficial visitors this weekend when they take on the Oregon State Beavers...
Dawgman.comYesterday at 4:46 AM
Dawgman Predictions - Oregon StateIt's time for the Dawgman predictions. The staff has had two weeks to mull over how they see this game between the Washington Huskies and Oregon State Beavers, and to a man they…
Dawgman.comThursday at 10:36 PM
By-The-Numbers: Oregon StateBy-The-Numbers is tan, rested and ready to get back to work! The bye week was nice and all, but I'm only happy when I'm crunching the numbers. And when looking at this Oregon State…
Dawgman.comThursday at 10:14 PM