Another road game, another road loss for UW

Entering Saturday's game against BYU it had been 1,034 days since Washington last won on the road. It will be at least three more weeks before they can try and break that streak as the Huskies lost yet another heart-breaker, a 23-17 decision to the Cougars, in a continuation of futility and frustration on the road…

Washington led 17 –13 at the half and had momentum after K Erik Folk hit a 53-yarder to send the teams into the locker room.

However, BYU held the Dawgs scoreless in the second half, with Washington unable to generate any sort of a consistent offense while failing on two fourth-downs late that would have put them in a position to win their first road game since 2007.

The Cougars got big games from both young quarterbacks, but Riley Nelson was the biggest dagger, completing 11 of 17 attempts for 131 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for eight times for 45 yards and a two-point conversion, leading BYU to 408 yards of offense.

Washington's Jake Locker was erratic at times, but managed to hit 20 of 37 for 266 yards for one touchdown an rushed 11 times for 29 yards and Washington's second touchdown.

The Husky defense was solid on BYU's first drive, holding the Cougars to a three-and-out and the offense took over and went 73 yard in seven plays as Locker found WR Jermaine Kearse for a 19-yard beauty down the middle of the field.

The drive was helped by RB Jesse Callier who took it over the right side for a 39 yards and the Huskies managed to put the ball in two plays later.

While Washington's defense was playing shut-out ball, two special teams mistakes led to BYU's first points.

After holding the Cougars to another three-and-out, freshman CB Gregory Ducre ended up roughing P Riley Stephenson allowing BYU to get better field position and then on Washington's next drive, LS Brendan Lopez snapped the ball over P Will Mahan's head, causing the Huskies to take a safety.

Another theme of the night was Washington's inability to capitalize on opportunities to make plays.

Locker hit Callier on third-and-eight for what appeared to be a first down, but it was called back due to a questionable tripping call and the Huskies failed to convert on the replay.

Also, S Nate Feller, who had a huge night with 10 tackles, had a chance to intercept Nelson and give Washington good field position, but the ball sailed through his hands and the Cougars ended up pinning Washington at their own 20 instead.

While both teams struggled a little with penalties, Washington's five for 55 yards came at inopportune times.

Ducre's roughing penalty stopped Washington's momentum early, while a pass-interference on Desmond Trufant eventually led to a 22-yard Mitch Payne field goal and Quinton Richardson's pass-interference came on 2nd-and-15 deep in BYU territory, allowing the Cougars to extend a drive and make Washington continue to have to go the long field.

Kearse had five receptions for 108 yards, while Devin Aguilar had five for 57 yards.

In addition to Nelson, the Cougars got a solid night from freshman Jake Heaps who hit 13 of 23 for 131 yards and J.J. Di Luigi rushed for 69 yards and hauled in four receptions for 83 yards including a 48-yard touchdown on a blown coverage by Washington's secondary.

Washington will now return home and lick their wounds as they prepare for Syracuse who comes to Husky Stadium next Saturday. Top Stories