OT Thriller

After two straight fourth-quarter disappointments, West Virginia found a way to pull off a late-game comeback – even if it almost lost it.

The Mountaineers defeated TCU 30-27 on Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas in overtime and needed to come back from down 14 points to do so.

WVU, behind a strong second-half defensive performance, scored 24 straight points and didn't let the Horned Frogs score after the 12:10 mark in the second quarter until late in the fourth.

However, in the final four minutes, TCU was able to score 10 points, tie it up and send the game to overtime.

In extra time, West Virginia's defense pushed TCU back – way back. Kicker Jaden Oberkrom missed a 62-yarder wide left (though it had the distance) to give the Mountaineers a chance to win with a field goal.

Kicker Josh Lambert booted a game-winning 35-yard kick to win it 30-27.

The Mountaineers (4-5, 2-4 Big 12 Conference) ended a three-game losing streak and kept their chances for a bowl game alive. TCU fell to 3-6 and 1-5 in the Big 12.

West Virginia was led offensively by running back Charles Sims. He had 154 yards on the ground and 35 yards receiving.

WVU quarterback Clint Trickett had two interceptions – and could've had two others – but finished 25-of-41 for 267 yards and two touchdowns.

Overall, the West Virginia defense held TCU to 454 yards. WVU's offense had 414.

WVU jumped on the Horned Frogs on the first play. Defensive lineman Kyle Rose tipped Casey Pachall pass, and it was intercepted by linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski at the 23-yard line.

The Mountaineers' offense was unable to score a touchdown, however. They settled for a 24-yard field goal from Lambert to go up 3-0.

TCU countered with a field goal of its own to tie it up at 3-3.

Pachall, who hadn't started a game since September due to a broken arm, threw his first touchdown pass of the season to go up 10-3. Receiver Josh Doctson caught the pass in the middle of the end zone.

Pachall followed that up with another passing touchdown – this one to receiver David Porter from 12 yards out – to go up 17-3 less than three minutes into the second quarter.

When it seemed WVU was out of it, Sims sparked the Mountaineers offense for a drive. He had two long runs, and the second went 31 yards to the end zone to cut the TCU lead to seven.

Late in the second quarter after the Mountaineers' defense began to settle in, the WVU offense moved into TCU territory, but Trickett threw an interception when it looked like the Mountaineers would score points to head into the locker room down 17-10.

Late in the third quarter, Trickett threw his second interception to linebacker Paul Dawson, who returned it all the way to the WVU 2-yard line. However, the Mountaineer dodged a bullet, as receiver/quarterback Trevone Boykin fumbled, and the ball was recovered by linebacker Jared Barber at the 4-yard line. The fumble was forced by linebacker Isaiah Bruce.

The Mountaineers' offense seemed to be sparked by that defensive play, as it drove quickly down the field. On a third-and-long near the red zone, Trickett nearly threw another interception, but the ball was dropped by the TCU defender. Lambert added a field goal to make it 17-13 with 12:21 to go.

On the first play of the ensuing TCU offensive drive, Pachall made a big mistake, throwing into double coverage. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ishmael Banks at the West Virginia 44-yard line.

The Mountaineers turned that into a touchdown, as Trickett rolled out and found Cody Clay, who dove into the end zone for the 11-yard, go-ahead score. The 20-7 lead was the Mountaineers' first of the game.

With a little more than eight minutes to play, Pachall was sacked and fumbled at the 15-yard line. It was forced by freshman linebacker Marvin Gross and recovered by safety Darwin Cook.

The Mountaineers finished the quick drive off with a touchdown pass from Trickett to Sims to give WVU a two-score lead at 27-17.

TCU added a late touchdown, as Pachall found Porter again with a little more than three minutes to play.

After a three-and-out by the WVU offense, TCU drove quickly down the field and Oberkrom booted a 45-yard field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

BlueGoldNews Top Stories