- One of the first things I noticed was that Adam Shuler had made his return to practice. Shuler had been noticeably absent for the first few weeks of spring ball but it appears as if he is back and running full speed. When the team broke into tempo drills he replaced Jon Lewis and ran with the first team defensive line (the first D-Line group featured Shuler and Donahue at the ends and Xavier Pegues at the nose).
- Dravon Askew-Henry is showing gradual improvement as he returns from his ACL tear. Although he was not dressed he was jogging around the practice field and even ran some sprints at the opposite end of the field while the team was doing team work. I would be surprised if he isn't full go when fall camp commences.
- It's apparent that Dana Holgorsen has really embraced his new role on special teams. Holgorsen was easily the most vocal coach as the team went through punt and PAT/Field Goal drills and he regularly chided players for missed assignments and a lack of physicality. Tony Gibson worked with the returners during punts.
- Punt returners were Gary Jennings, Jovon Durante, David Sills and Tevin Bush.
- Mike Molina went 2-for-4 in the field goals we saw. The two misses were on a blocked kick (from 20 something yards out) and a ball he hooked wide right (from a little beyond 35 yards out). Molina did however hit a 46 yarder.
- Towards the end of media availability Tevin Bush broke off a nice run (Bush ran with the second team offense). On the run he was able to cut outside and showed some shiftiness in getting up field. He gained about 15-20 yards on the run. Jake Spavital and Tony Dews have both been complimentary of Bush thus far and from observing him for a few plays I can see why.
- While we have all heard about Will Grier's accuracy and arm strength, one of his more underrated qualities is his ability to sell the run on play action. During the tempo period Grier faked handoffs multiple times and fired quick passes to the outside (as you will see above he even got me a few times).
West Virginia Goes Through Its 13th Practice of the Spring
Mountaineers Daily Top Stories
Holgorsen Working on Retaining AssistantsDana Holgorsen talks staff turnover.
Mountaineers Daily10:00 AM
Previewing the Final Summer Visit WeekendPreviewing the final visit weekend of the summer.
Mountaineers Daily5:18 AM
Holgorsen's Antics Highlighted by Big12 RefsBig12 officials detail changes for this coming year.
Mountaineers DailyYesterday at 12:03 PM
Oliver Nearing a DecisionBraelen Oliver previews his final three visits before a decision in the near future.
Mountaineers DailyYesterday at 3:50 AM
Holgorsen Details Transfers, QBs and MoreDana Holgorsen gives the latest on West Virginia from Big12 Media Days
Mountaineers DailyTuesday at 3:56 PM