Mountaineers Roll Early in Win Over Coppin State

West Virginia used big runs to begin each half and never looked back in a 71-47 romp over Coppin State on Saturday to move to 6-0 for the first time since 1982 in front of 6,002 in the WVU Coliseum.

Tyrone Sally made four three-pointers in the first eight minutes of the game and finished with 16 to lead another balanced Mountaineer scoring attack. Mike Gansey chipped in with 10 and Pat Beilein nailed four three-pointers, three in the second half, and finished with 14 off the WVU bench.

The Mountaineers stormed out of the gates with a 14-0 run. Sally started the game with a three pointer just 15 seconds into the game. After Sally blocked a shot at the other end, Mike Gansey hit the first of his two straight three-pointers which extended the lead to 6-0 and then 20 seconds later to 9-0 to send the Mountaineer faithful into a frenzy.

On the next trip down the floor Darris Nichols threw a beautiful alley-oop to D'or Fisher (eight points, four rebounds, two blocks) who rammed it home for an 11-0 lead at the 17:31 mark of the first half.

After Henry Colter missed another jumper for Coppin State, Sally nailed his second three of the game to give WVU a 14-0 lead with 17:03 remaining in the half.

Nicholas King (22 points, four rebounds, two steals, four turnovers) hit the first of his four three-pointers at the 15:34 mark to stop the WVU run and cut the lead to 14-3.

Sally hit his third three of the half less than 15 seconds later to put the lead back to 14 at 17-3 for the Mountaineers.

Coppin State then mounted a small 9-3 run of their own to get back into the ball game at the 11:23 mark to make the score 23-12. King was again the key force for the Eagles, but was also aided by Darryl Proctor (12 points, five rebounds).

The Eagles extended the run to 15-7 at the 10:33 mark to cut the WVU lead to 25-18. Coach Beilein then brought Gansey and Fisher back into the game, and the Mountaineers got back to business.

Pat Beilein hit his first three of the game to put the lead back to ten and the Mountaineers finished the half on their own 12-3 run to make the halftime score 37-22.

The Mountaineers bolted right out of the gates to start the second half with two quick threes by Johannes Herber, who finished with nine points and three rebounds, giving WVU a 40-27 lead.

West Virginia then went on a 15-4 run to end all suspense. Sally started the run with a lay-up. Gansey dropped in a lay-up. Beilein hit a fade-away three from the right corner and Kevin Pittsnogle hit a jumper from the paint to power the streak.

Beilein was then hammered on a drive to the basket, but officials ruled it a clean block, and the Mountaineers had the ball out of bounds with 11:13 remaining, and WVU holding a 52-35 lead.

Beilein hit another three from the same spot and WVU was rolling once again.

Beilein made a steal on the next trip down and drove for a lay-up. Frank Young made a steal on the next trip and drove the rack for a lay-up to extend WVU's lead to 59-35 with 10:18 left to play.

Sally pulled down a rebound on the next trip, and drove all the way to the rack, and with the free-throw after the foul, WVU had a 62-35 lead with 9:38 remaining.

Three minutes later, Beilein hit another three, and WVU's lead was extended to 30, their largest lead of the day, 65-35. The suspense was over.

West Virginia only scored six more points for the remainder of the game as they emptied the bench to give some of their younger players some experience against the obviously outclassed Eagles.

West Virginia will break for a week due to first semester final exams, and will return to action on December 18 against James Madison at the WVU Coliseum. Game time is 7:00 p.m.

Box Score

BlueGoldNews Top Stories