Western Kentucky welcomed Stony Brook to EA Diddle Arena on Saturday afternoon what turned out to be a thrilling 67-66 Hilltopper victory.
The Hilltoppers received another double-double from sophomore Justin Johnson, with 22 points and 13 rebounds, and senior Nigel Snipes, who finished with 20 points, hit all five of his three-points attempts in the win.
Despite being out rebounded by 18, WKU used aggressive defense and three-point shooting to hold off a Stony Brook comeback.
WKU heads to Estero, Fla., to play three games in the 2015 Gulf Coast Showcase, beginning Monday at 5:00 PM (CT) against Drake.
LINK: PHOTO GALLERY
- The WKU starting lineup consisted of Chris McNeal, Aaron Cosby, Fredrick Edmond, Justin Johnson and Anton Waters for the first time this season. Waters made his first career start at WKU.
- Stony Brook pulled within 67-66 with 2:06 remaining to play and it remained that way for the duration of the game after six missed field goals and three missed free throws between the two teams.
- Stony Brook out-rebounded WKU 53-35, including 24-6 on the offensive end.
- Ben Lawson had three blocks to lead a seven block effort by the Hilltoppers.
- Stony Brook outscored WKU 34-26 in the paint and 18-8 on second chance points.
- The lead changed hands eight times and tied four times, with the Hilltoppers leading for 28:18 of game time.