Western Kentucky (3-2) visits Louisiana Tech (2-3) for a Conference USA meeting that will impact both the East and West Division races.
Here's the WKU Insider game preview:
LOCATION: Joe Aillett Stadium, Ruston, La. (28.019)
DATE: Thursday, October 6
KICKOFF: 7:00 p.m.CT
RADIO: Hilltopper IMG Sports Network: 105.3 FM/1450 AM
TV: CBS Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Jason Horowitz
Analyst: Rick Neuheisel
Sideline: Taylor Rooks
- The Hilltoppers last conference loss came at the hands of Louisiana Tech, in Ruston, La. The Bulldogs handed WKU a 59-10 thumping, the worst conference loss in program history.
- A victory would mark WKU's 14th consecutive C-USA victory and equal the league record. Southern Miss won 14 straight against C-USA foes from 1998-2000.
- WKU defeated Louisiana Tech 41-38 at home in 2015.
- Taywan Taylor and Nicholas Norris are one of only two duos in the nation to each have 2,000 or more career receiving yards.
- WKU has won 7 of its last 8 Thursday night contests, including a win over Rice in the 2016 season-opener.
- Louisiana Tech has a blowout victory over FCS foe South Carolina State and a 28-7 home win over UTEP last weekend. The Bulldogs three losses have all come on the road: (Arkansas 20-21), Texas Tech (45-59) Middle Tennessee (39-34).
- Since moving to the FBS level in 1989, Louisiana Tech is just 2-5 in games played on Thursday nights.
- Louisiana Tech wide receivers Trent Taylor and Carlos Henderson are ranked third in the nation among active career leaders in combined receiving yards with 4,798 yards.
- Entering the fifth week of the season, the Bulldogs are ranked in the top 10 in the nation among FBS teams in passing offense (5th - 386.3 YPG) and total offense (7th - 553.0 YPG), while LA Tech ranks third nationally in first downs offense.
QB Mike White : Ranks 22th in the country in total yards (1,367) and 7th in yards per attempt (10).
WR Taywan Taylor : The multiple school record holder is currently fifth nationally with 605 receiving yards.
LB Keith Brown : Has led the Hilltopper in tackles for three consecutive games. His 9.4 tackles per game average is among the nation's top 40.
WR Trent Taylor : Checks in at 10th nationally among active players with 32 consecutive games with a reception. He's led the Bulldogs in receiving in 12 of the last 17 contests.
QB Ryan Higgins : Enters the game averaging 353.8 passing yards, a mark that ranks sixth in the nation.
S Xavier Woods : Senior is tied for 8th all-time in Louisiana Tech history with 10 career interceptions. He has two in 2016.
La Tech head coach Skip Holtz:
"Jeff Brohm has done a great job in building that program. I have a lot of respect for him and the job that he is doing right now. This game has all the makings to be a phenomenal matchup."
WKU head coach Jeff Brohm:
"Well, I think we definately have a target on our back, but when you get into these type of games it is going to be about how prepared the most and who is going to lock in and play solid football for four quarters."
2016 Conference USA Standings