Broncos Remain Winless at Yost

The last time the Western Michigan University Broncos hockey team actually one a game at Yost Arena, in Ann Arbor, three members of this years coaching staff were on that team. Assistant Coach Chris Brooks a four year letter winner for the Broncos was a senior on that team, Assistant Coach Brendan Kenny also was a four year letter winner was a junior that season and Volunteer Coach and former goaltender Matt Barnes lettered four years at Western and was a freshman on that team in 1995-96.

The Michigan Wolverines domination over the Broncos at Yost continued Saturday night with a 7-0 shellacking in front of the 6,812 fans in attendance. Except for the third period of play the Wolverines controlled the game from the start. Three Wolverines scored two goals each.

Brandon Kaleniecki opened the scoring at 9:31 of the first period by putting the puck past starting goaltender Scott Foster. Kaleniecki also scored the first goal of the second period just 2:17 in. Mike Brown scored his first goal when he stole the puck and broke in on Foster all alone at 13:49 of the first period giving the Wolverines a 2-0 lead. His second goal came while the Wolverines were shorthanded with Michael Woodford Jr. serving a two-minute minor for slashing and gave the Wolverines a 5-0 lead.

T.J. Hensick added an even strength goal in the first period with 4:03 left in the period giving the Wolverines a 3-0 lead. His second goal was the only goal scored in the third period. With Paul Szczechura in the penalty box serving a 2-minute minor for obstruction-tripping Hensick got behind the Broncos defense and was able to beat Scott Marvin who replaced Foster in net to start the third period. Marvin faced ten shots and made some beautiful saves before Hensick was able to come in all alone on Marvin.

Andrew Ebbett also scored for the Wolverines when he was able to put the puck past foster with 2:59 left in the second period. Ebbett's goal ultimately resulted in the Broncos switch in goal tending. Prior to the third period Foster face a barrage of shots from the Wolverines offensive onslaught. It seemed at times that the Broncos were just standing around watching the Wolverines move the puck. The Broncos were having a difficult time keeping their eye on the puck and when it would hit their skate they seemed to not be able to find it at times. Michigan was able to take advantage and peppered Foster with 24 shots while the Broncos only managed 9 shots in the first two periods.

However in the third period the Broncos came to life. They started playing like they belonged but at that time it was probably just a little too late. In the third period alone the Broncos more than doubled their total shot out put for the game out shooting the Wolverines 21-11 in the period. For the game though Michigan still out shot the Broncos 35-30.

This game was one that was also filled with penalties for both teams. Both teams were called 17 penalties for 72 minutes. Most of those minutes resulted from a late game fight that broke out with 1:05 left in the contest. Four players Vince Bellissimo and Trevor Cook for the Broncos and David Rohlfs and Matt Hunwick all received 2-minutes for roughing and 10-minute misconduct penalties. Woodford and Brown for the Wolverines and Mat Ponto and Kyle Bushee all received 5-minutes for fighting and game disqualifications.

The Broncos (16-7-1, 11-4-1 CCHA) have another home-and-home series next weekend when the travel to Ferris State on Friday and return the next night to Lawson Arena from Blackout Saturday. Michigan (13-11-3, 9-8-2 CCHA) hosts Lake Superior State University next weekend.

Broncos Illustrated Top Stories