Broncos Skate to a Tie

Friday night in front of 2,845 fans at Lawson Arena, the Broncos hockey team hosted their long time rivals the Bowling Green State University Falcons in CCHA action. The Broncos came into the contest looking to extend their winning streak over the Falcons to 6 games, but instead turned that streak into an unbeaten streak of six games. Last nights 3-3 tie makes three out of the last four games between these teams have gone into overtime.

The Broncos lit the lamp early in the first period. Ben Gagnon took a pass from Paul Davies and Tyler Masters blocked the shot but gave up a rebound. The rebound came right back to Gagnon at the edge of the left faceoff circle. Gagnon put it in the net to give the Broncos a 1-0 lead at the 3:53 mark.

The Broncos second goal came at the 14:38 mark of the first period but it didn't come without controversy. With referee Brian Aaron standing right next to the net in perfect view of the crease, there was a big scramble in the crease for the puck as Masters was unable to keep the puck covered. Roger Leonard was also unable to cover the puck for the Falcons and crossed the goal line for the Bronco goal.

In the first period the Broncos out shot the Falcons 13-7. The Falcons had one penalty when Mark Wires was sent to the penalty box for high sticking at the 10:01 mark of the period. The Broncos failed to take advantage of the power play.

The start of the second period was a tale of two periods. The Broncos were out shot by the Falcons 9-0 and in just 1:14 the Broncos went from being two goals up to being tied with the Falcons. The first goal came at 4:41 just 17 seconds after Paul Davies was sent to the penalty box for cross checking. On a tic-tac-toe play from just inside the blue line Kevin Bieksa ripped a slap shot over Scott Foster's shoulder for the goal. At 5:41 Dana Lattery was sent to the penalty box for slashing. Four seconds later Tyler Knight scored an unassisted goal by tucking in a backhander inside the near post.

Despite being out shot in the second period, the Broncos managed to achieve a 7-1 shot advantage throughout the rest of the period. The Falcons out shot the Broncos 10-7 and had three power plays in the second period to the Broncos one power play.

Both teams came out of the locker room in the third period and treated the fans in attendance to some great hockey the rest of the game, including into overtime. The Falcons got the first goal of the third period when Knight scored his second goal of the game by tapping in a pass across the slot from D'Arcy McConvey on a two-on-one rush.

Following a Jon Sitko penalty for checking from behind, the Broncos tied the game up at the 7:33 mark. Dana Lattery poked in a loose puck in front of the goal line. By scoring the goal Lattery extended his points streak to six games. He is also the team's leading goal scorer with 17 so far this season.

The Falcons out shot the Broncos by a 10-9 margin in the third period and the Broncos out shot the Falcons 5-3 in overtime. For the game the Broncos held a 34-30 shot advantage. The Falcons were 2-3 on the power play while the Broncos were 1-3. Both teams had 4 penalties for 8 minutes.

The Falcons (7-19-3, 4-16-3 CCHA) and the Broncos (13-16-2, 11-10-1 CCHA) will skate again tonight at 7:05pm at the BGSU Ice Arena in Bowling Green.

Broncos Illustrated Top Stories