The Badgers returned outdoors in full pads, practicing on the turf of Camp Randall Stadium despite chilly temperatures, reaching below 40 degrees before the end of practice.
For the remainder of our spring football coverage, we are going to include news in a variety of places, including our "Hot News" section and the message boards, so please make sure to check the entire site throughout the rest of practice and during the summer for all the latest news. But here are the main highlights, news/notes from Wednesday's session:
- Kareem Timbers continues to be the starter at drop linebacker, with Lamarr Watkins not receiving many reps with the No. 1 defense. Timbers has had an outstanding spring practice, and Wednesday was no exception. He knocked down one pass at the line of scrimmage, and looked solid on run defense during inside running drills.
- Jake Wood received a lot of reps with the No. 1 offensive line this afternoon, as did Randy Gyllin at left tackle. The starting tackles remain Morgan Davis and Mike Lorenz, but the competition is still an active one. With Jonathan Clinkscale missing practice, Kalvin Barrett spent the entire session as the starting right guard.
- Speaking of right guards, Jeff Lang had perhaps his best practice this afternoon. Lang looked outstanding as the No. 2 guy, particularly on pulling plays. He leveled Timbers and Traison Lewis during inside running drills, and sprung the running back for big gains on several occasions.
- The quarterbacks all had solid practices on Wednesday, with John Stocco finding Brandon Williams for big gains several times, while Devin Hollins made a beautiful throw to Byron Brown on the run, throwing across his body, and Matt Schabert hit Brandon White down the right sideline on what was perhaps the play of the day. Jim Sorgi continues to look solid and has been one of the most consistent performers of spring ball.
- Brett Bell remains the starting right cornerback, and he's earned that spot. Bell looks to be getting better and is showing the athleticism that makes him a unique prospect. Bell and Scott Starks are the starting cornerbacks, with Chuckie Cowans and Levonne Rowan backing them up. Rowan also practiced at right cornerback opposite Patrick Ellestad with the No. 3 unit.
- The defensive line continues to be a major strength on this team. The unit is loaded with depth, and Anttaj Hawthorne in particular is absolutely explosive. While the teams were in full pads Wednesday, there was no tackling to the ground. If the action was live, Hawthorne would have had a field day. On one play, he was in the backfield so quickly, he could have taken the handoff from John Stocco before Booker Stanley met the quarterback. He also was in position to crush a few running backs, getting into the backfield with impressive speed.
- New Berlin Eisenhower's Mike Klepatz, a teammate of Badger signee Danny Kaye, was in attendance, as were former Badgers Russ Kuhns, B.J. Tucker and Ryan Simmons.
- A reporter from Sports Illustrated attended the practice, to do interviews with Jim Sorgi, Jeff Mack, Lee Evans and others for a story on spring practice. He will visit several other schools for the piece, including trips to Ohio State and Auburn.
April 2 Practice Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
Spring Position Preview - SafetiesBadgerNation gives a snapshot preview of each position for Wisconsin's spring practices. Part nine is the safeties.
Badger NationYesterday at 10:57 AM
Spring Position Preview - CornerbacksBadgerNation gives a snapshot preview of each position for Wisconsin's spring practices. Part eight is the cornerbacks.
Badger NationYesterday at 7:02 AM
Big Ten Roundtable: Looking ahead to 2017-18Scout.com's Big Ten publishers discuss the conference's coaching changes, take a way-too-early look ahead to the 2017-18 season and which coach enters next season on the hottest…
Illini InquirerYesterday at 5:21 AM
Video: Badger commit throws well at showcaseWatch Wisconsin quarterback commit Ben Bryant from LaGrange (Ill.) Lyons Township throw the ball at the United Stars Chicago Showcase.
Scout FootballTuesday at 3:55 PM