The Badger football team went through a light walk-through in helmet, shoulder pads and shorts at Camp Randall Stadium Friday afternoon. The weather was the nicest its been all spring, about 65 degrees and sunny.
There isn't a whole lot to report because this was not a full practice, just a light walk-through with no contact in preparation for Saturday's spring game.
Nonetheless, here is some news/notes from Friday's session:
- A number of wide receivers that normally don't get reps with the No. 1 offense got a chance to work with Sorgi and the top unit a little bit Friday afternoon, including Travaan Hayes, Zach Hampton and Jeff Holzbauer.
- Mark Zalewski is now working full-time with the No. 2 defense, and he will likely get a lot of reps next fall as the Badgers groom him to be the next Mike linebacker, following the graduation of Jeff Mack.
- It appears that despite the stiff challenge of John Stocco and Devin Hollins, Matt Schabert has held onto his No. 2 quarterback spot through spring football.
- The nickel backs on defense remain Robert Brooks and Chuckie Cowans, while Brett Bell and Scott Starks have held onto the starting cornerback spots (the only change coming early in spring ball when Bell moved past Levonne Rowan).
- The Badgers ran a 4-4-3 defense several times during Friday's session, in which Lamarr Watkins and Kareem Timbers were both on the field. Brett Bell was the odd man out in the secondary.
- Traison Lewis, Nick Cochart, Andre Williams and Tim Ovadal made up the No. 2 defensive line for the majority of the walk-through.
- Lee Evans worked with Donny Brady and Owen Daniels on footwork drills on a patch of FieldTurf, presumably testing the new surface. No word yet on whether a decision has been made.
Friday Walk-Through Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
State of the Nation - 3.27.17What prospects have Wisconsin on their top list and what prospects don't? Who visited Madison over the weekend? Get the latest recruiting story lines in this week's State of the…
Badger NationYesterday at 11:27 PM
Spring Position Preview - Defensive LineBadgerNation gives a snapshot preview of each position for Wisconsin's spring practices. Part six is the defensive line.
Badger NationYesterday at 3:59 PM
Spring Position Preview - Offensive LineBadgerNation gives a snapshot preview of each position for Wisconsin's spring practices. Part five is the offensive line.
Badger NationYesterday at 9:53 AM
What's Next for Wisconsin Basketball?Graduating four seniors who won 115 games over the last four seasons, Wisconsin basketball will have its reserves and incoming freshmen contribute around All-American Ethan Happ…
Badger NationSaturday at 5:04 PM
Game Day Grades: FloridaBadgerNation analyzes the game and hands out the grades from eighth-seed Wisconsin's 84-83 overtime defeat to fourth-seed Florida Friday.
Badger NationSaturday at 12:18 PM