The Badger football team went through a light walk-through in helmet, shoulder pads and shorts at Camp Randall Stadium Friday afternoon. The weather was the nicest its been all spring, about 65 degrees and sunny.
There isn't a whole lot to report because this was not a full practice, just a light walk-through with no contact in preparation for Saturday's spring game.
Nonetheless, here is some news/notes from Friday's session:
- A number of wide receivers that normally don't get reps with the No. 1 offense got a chance to work with Sorgi and the top unit a little bit Friday afternoon, including Travaan Hayes, Zach Hampton and Jeff Holzbauer.
- Mark Zalewski is now working full-time with the No. 2 defense, and he will likely get a lot of reps next fall as the Badgers groom him to be the next Mike linebacker, following the graduation of Jeff Mack.
- It appears that despite the stiff challenge of John Stocco and Devin Hollins, Matt Schabert has held onto his No. 2 quarterback spot through spring football.
- The nickel backs on defense remain Robert Brooks and Chuckie Cowans, while Brett Bell and Scott Starks have held onto the starting cornerback spots (the only change coming early in spring ball when Bell moved past Levonne Rowan).
- The Badgers ran a 4-4-3 defense several times during Friday's session, in which Lamarr Watkins and Kareem Timbers were both on the field. Brett Bell was the odd man out in the secondary.
- Traison Lewis, Nick Cochart, Andre Williams and Tim Ovadal made up the No. 2 defensive line for the majority of the walk-through.
- Lee Evans worked with Donny Brady and Owen Daniels on footwork drills on a patch of FieldTurf, presumably testing the new surface. No word yet on whether a decision has been made.
Friday Walk-Through Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
Dietzen Ready For Senior Curtain CallHoping to end his high school career with a fourth straight state championship, Kimberly (Wis.) High defensive end Boyd Dietzen has been focused solely on the Papermakers since…
Badger Nation7:21 AM
Most Indispensable Badger - No.1Counting down the 20 most indispensable Badgers on Wisconsin's 2017 roster, sophomore quarterback Alex Hornibrook checks in at No.1.
Badger NationYesterday at 2:39 PM
Fall Camp Preview: Special TeamsThe 12th of BadgerNation's 12-part preview series, getting members ready for the start of Wisconsin football's fall camp on July 28, we look at the special teams.
Badger NationYesterday at 9:52 AM
Gaglianone 'Back' and ReadyAfter a back injury cut his 2016 season to only three games, junior kicker Rafael Gaglianone is close to feeling 100 percent physically and mentally repaired.
Badger NationYesterday at 9:28 AM