Beau Allen Notes
- Didn't get invited to the NFL combine (doesn't know why) so used Wednesday as his big opportunity. Feels he took advantage of it and did everything he set out to do, especially showing teams that he is "an athletic big man."
- Weighed in at 329 pounds, recorded a 31-inch vertical jump (was shooting for 32), had an 8-8 broad jump and did 30 reps on the bench at 225 pounds (was shooting for 32 or 33).
- Tweak his hamstring previously, so he only ran a 10-yard bust instead of a 40-yard dash. Also said nobody wanted to see a 330-pound lineman run the 40.
- Feels he's shown on film and at the East-West shrine that he can play the interior in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense
- Quotable: "I was a little perturb that I didn't go to the combine. I wanted to go, obviously. Everyone dreams about being on that big stage, but I think I did what I wanted to do today. I wanted to show teams that I'm athletic, I can move well, jump high for a big guy. I showed what I wanted to show."
Jared Abbrederis Notes
- Only ran routes after being pleased with the numbers he put up at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis in late February.
- Said he was "pretty happy" with his senior year other than he wanted the team to win more games and that he achieved a lot of his personal goals (he missed his goal of 10 touchdowns by three).
- Started training in San Diego right after the bowl game.
- Quotable: "I wanted to show them how I get in and out of breaks quick and have body control."
Jacob Pedersen Notes
- Feels his greatest strength is his versatility, playing on all four special teams units and that NFL coaches have been talking with him about motioning and shifting pre-snap.
- Said today was harder than the combine in Indianapolis because the scouts are right on top of the players, but said it was great working out with his friends and former teammates one more time.
- Feels his position work is the best among the tight ends he's worked out against at various stops.
- Pedersen said having so many different tight end coaches throughout his tenure is a benefit to him because it "shows that I can transition well at the next level."
- Quotable: "I don't think I have major flaws out there that I can't do. Everything I feel I do pretty well and if I don't do it well, I am the kind of guy who is going to work at until I do do it well. I think they know that and I've gotten that across in my interviews."
Chris Borland Notes
- Borland recorded a vertical jump of 35 inches, four inches higher than he recorded at the NFL Combine, and said he also improved his 40-yard dash time without knowing his official time.
- Said he's enjoyed the process thus far, but looking forward to doing more "football-specific drills" leading up to the draft.
- Says the three different defensive coordinators and four different linebacker coaches has got him prepared to make the transition to another new staff in the NFL.
- Quotable: "I play the game the right way. I'm a smart player. I make the guys around me better. I play fast. As far as off the field, I think that's a strength of mine being a leader, a locker-room guy, a high-character guy. I can definitely help the team from that aspect."
Dezmen Southward Notes
- Says he heard his 40-yard dash time was between 4.31 and 4.38 seconds. Hit 42 inches on his vertical jump and a 10-5 on his broad jump.
- Feels he accomplished his goal of showing scouts how explosive and fast he is.
- Says he was held out of workouts at the combine because doctors (he didn't know if they were team doctors or combine doctors) said he had a fracture in his C-5 vertebrae. After a second opinion, it was determined he possibly had a slight hernia in his C-4. Was told he should have been able to run. Calls it one of the most frustrating experiences of his life, but on the bright side "I don't have a broken neck."
- Says he is not worried about any red flags with teams because of injuries.
- Quotable: "At the end of the day, it shows I am really explosive, can jump, explode, get out of my hips, and that's the most important."
Notes: Ethan Hemer put a Pro-Day-best 32 reps on the bench press … Abbrederis, Pedersen, Southward and James White did not do the bench …In addition to Abbrederis, Ryan Groy and White did not run the 40, but did position-specific drills.