- Penn State starts 0-2 in the Big Ten for the third time in 11 seasons in the conference. Wisconsin has provided one of the losses on each occasion, all in Beaver Stadium. Penn State previously started 0-2 in 1995 (losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State) and 0-3 in 2001 (losses to Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan).
- QB Michael Robinson started the first game of his career at quarterback and completed his first four passes for 40 yards on the opening drive.
- QB Michael Robinson's 379 yards passing ranks second all-time for a single game in Penn State history to Zack Mills' 399 yards through the air against Iowa last season. Robinson posted career highs today in completions (22), attempts (43), yards (379), passing touchdowns (2) and total offense (398), and had a career long 73-yard TD pass.
- Michael Robinson's 43 pass attempts are sixth highest in school history and his 22 completions are tied for 12th highest in school history.
- QB Michael Robinson is the eighth quarterback in PSU history to pass for 300 yards in his first game since Zack Mills threw for 399 against Iowa in 2002. His yardage also marked the first game in which Penn State has passed for over 200 yards since the Virginia game in 2002, a span of eight games.
- QB Michael Robinson's 73-yard TD pass to TE Matt Kranchick was the first TD pass of his career and the longest pass of his career. It was also Kranchick's first TD reception of his career and the longest reception of his career. It was the longest completion for Penn State since Kevin Thompson connected on a 78-yard TD pass to Chafie Fields at Purdue in 1999 and ranks as the 15th longest pass play in school history.
- Penn State's 424 yards total offense and 379 passing yards were both season highs. The Lions have set season highs in total offense each of the past three games.
- TE Matt Kranchick's four catches for 136 yards and one touchdown were both career highs. His 31-yard first quarter reception was the longest of his career before hauling in a 73-yard reception for a TD in the third quarter. Six of Kranchick's eight receptions on the year have gone for more than 20 yards. He has catches of 73, 31, 27, 22, 20 and 20 on the year.
- WR Tony Johnson's seven receptions tied a career high set in the Boston College game this year and his 122 yards receiving are the second highest total of his career.
- WR Tony Johnson and TE Matt Kranchick are the first pair of Penn State receivers to post 100-yard receiving games in the same game since Bryant Johnson and Tony Johnson accomplished the feat against Iowa in 2002.
- Penn State's 11-play, 45-yard opening drive was its most successful opening possession of the season. The Nittany Lions gained a first down on their opening drive for the first time and far exceeded their average gain of one yard on the opening possessions of the first five games on the year. Penn State controlled the ball for 10:43 of the first quarter.
- Penn State had the ball for less than four minutes in the third quarter and 6:22 total in the second half.
- LB Gino Capone has led or tied for the team lead in tackles in every game this season. His 11 tackles on the day were his fifth double-digit tackle day of the season.
- Penn State's first quarter field goal to take a 3-0 lead was the second time the Nittany Lions have scored first in a game this season (7-0 over Temple).
- Penn State's three first half turnovers (all fumbles) equaled its season high for a game on the season (three fumbles vs. Kent State)
- WR Gerald Smith's had a career high four catches for 71 yards. His 5-yard TD catch in the fourth quarter was the first of his career.
- DE Lavon Chisley's first half pass deflection was his second of the season.
- DT Tamba Hali's first quarter fumble recovery on the Wisconsin 24-yard line was the first of his career and set up a Robbie Gould field goal.
- LB Deryck Toles' sack at the end of the first half was his second on the season.
- LB Derek Wake's third quarter sack (-8 yards) on third and seven from the PSU 40 was his first sack or tackle for loss on the year. He posted three tackles for loss on the day and nine tackles.
- Badger Jim Leonhard's 65-yard punt return for a TD in the third quarter was the first against Penn State since Michigan State's Gari Scott returned one 64 yards for a TD in 1999.
- CB Anwar Phillips made his first start of the season and second of his career.
- True freshman DT John Shaw made his first career appearance in the fourth quarter.
- The Nittany Lions have lost three home games in one season for the fifth time under Joe Paterno and the first time since losing their initial three games in 2001.
- Penn State drops to 60-19-5 on Homecoming, including a 34-4 mark under Joe Paterno.
Penn State gamenotes
Badger Nation Top Stories
Notes: Red-Zone Offense MisfiringIn today's insider notebook, Wisconsin talks about what needs to change in the red zone, an update on injuries heading into its matchup with No.7 Nebraska, rotations on the…
Badger NationYesterday at 3:39 PM
Cichy Done for the SeasonWisconsin's linebacker corps suffered its third major injury of the season, as inside linebacker Jack Cichy is done for the season following a shoulder injury suffered at Iowa…
Badger NationYesterday at 10:11 AM
Red/White ObservationsThoughts and observations from No.10 Wisconsin's Red/White Scrimmage at the Kohl Center Sunday
Badger NationSunday at 1:23 PM
Sports Illustrated Included w/ BadgerNation!Becoming a BadgerNation member just got better.
Badger NationSunday at 12:49 PM