Currently Scout.com's No. 12 ranked point guard in the class of 2006, the 6-foot-1 Hughes did not flinch early in the process when he had about 30 schools recruiting him, said Brian Richert, his coach at St. John's Military Academy in Delafield, Wis.
"I always told him, ‘You need to narrow it down,'" Richert said in a telephone interview Tuesday evening. "He says, ‘No, I don't. They'll start narrowing themselves down because I'm going to take my time and make the right decision."
Until this week that plan was working without a hiccup. But Hughes has whittled his list to just two schools, according to Richert: Wisconsin and Iowa. And the Badgers may be close to running out of seats at the table.
For months UW had two scholarships available, with four guards mulling their decisions. One such prospect, Linn-Mar (Marion, Iowa) combo guard Jason Bohannon, announced his verbal commitment to Wisconsin at a press conference Tuesday afternoon. Another, Wauwatosa East standout Jerry Smith, had tentative plans to host his own press conference Wednesday, but now appears to be holding off on making a final decision.
"It sort of woke Trevon up a little bit to be honest with you," Richert said. "We had lunch together today. And I said, you know, rumor has it that Jerry and Bohannon probably are both going to sign with the Badgers. I said it is not for sure but I know Bohannon [announced] today and that maybe that will just leave you out.
"And he's like, ‘Oh man.'"
Hughes will make an unofficial visit to UW Wednesday, a trip that has been planned for about a week, Richert said. There is a chance that he could pull the trigger and commit right then and there, but Richert thinks that his star pupil still wants to wait until after he attends Iowa's elite camp June 4-5 before making his decision.
"It's between those two," Richert said. "He's really pulled between both of them."
But Richert said Hughes does not feel like he has to make a quick decision now that UW is down to one available offer.
Said Richert: "When I told him today at lunch and I threw it all at him and I said there's something that you've got to know… This might have to speed up your process.
"And he goes, ‘No, it doesn't… I want to make sure. And until I know for sure where I want to go I'm going to take my time.'"
According to Richert, Hughes said he could commit Wednesday, but he is not in a hurry to do so.
"He wants to talk to Bo Ryan himself and get some answers and maybe ask some questions and find out some questions that he's got still," Richert said. "Maybe after tomorrow's meeting, if it goes well, maybe Trevon will commit."
"But I don't know," he said. "I don't think he feels pressured simply because he knows that it's his decision."
Hughes' visit to UW Wednesday will be focused on academics, Richert said. While in Madison he will have the opportunity to meet with academic advisors and talk to the Badgers' coaches.
"Trevon actually requested this simply because he wants to go and walk around; more of an academic talk than a basketball talk," Richert said. "I don't know how many more questions Bo can actually answer. Everything's been thrown at the plate already. There's nothing more Bo can actually do. He's been wonderful…Basketball-wise I think everything's about answered.
"The thing that's lacking in Trevon's eyes is, let's see at the university, what kind of academic help that is provided, if he's going to strive there. What kind of situation is there for the athletes?
"He's always promised his mom he would graduate from college. He knows that's very important to his mother. So he wants to makes sure he makes the right choice academically."
Hughes plans to major in business or accounting.
"The way he figures, in his dream, if he's going to make millions [in the NBA], he wants to know how to handle it," Richert said. "That's what he tells me. He says, ‘Coach, I'm going to make millions, I want to make sure I know where it's going.'"