With that in mind, news and notes from the afternoon's events:
The Badgers matched their first-team offense with their-second team defense in a simulated overtime session Friday afternoon. On first-and-10 from the 25, Brandon Williams ran a good route and beat a defensive back into the end zone, but John Stocco's pass was off target. On the next play, however, Brian Calhoun probably would have scored on a running play if not for the whistle. Then, with the offense given a first-and-10 at the 15, Stocco hooked up with Calhoun near the sideline. The junior tailback made one cut and dashed toward the goal line. Though a couple defenders were closing in, he again may have scored if not for the set up of practice Friday afternoon.
Second-team sam linebacker Travis Beckum recorded a "tackle" for loss on Calhoun a play later though, and the first-team offense ended up attempting a 30-yard field goal on fourth down, which Taylor Mehlhaff knocked through the uprights.
The first offense then went to work against the first defense in a simulated two-minute drill, for which the offense had 60 yards to cover to reach the end zone. Stocco was very efficient in the session, completing 3 of 4 passes, with only a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage falling incomplete. After moving the ball with completions to Jonathan Orr and Brandon Williams, Stocco again hooked up with Williams, this time floating a nice pass into the end zone for a 34-yard touchdown.
- Casey Hogan appears to have slipped to fourth on the sam linebacker depth behind Mark Zalewski, LaMarr Watkins and Travis Beckum. This could be deceiving, though. The Badgers have been shuffling a number of players around in the linebacker corps and are trying to get the true freshmen significant reps. However, Hogan appears to still be in the mix to play linebacker in nickel or dime situations.
- Ben Landgraf took some reps with the second defense at will linebacker.
- Aubrey Pleasant again went in for a series with the second team at strong safety, spelling Joe Stellmacher. Pleasant appears to have passed James Kamoku on the depth at strong safety.
- Prince Moody continues to rotate in with the second defense at cornerback and has a good chance at being in the depth when the season starts.
- Watkins continues to focus on sam linebacker and looks more comfortable back on the strongside, after serving as a little used reserve on the weakside last year. During practice the past two days he has received considerable reps with the first team. Mark Zalewski, normally the first-team sam linebacker, again received reps with the first team at mike linebacker, when Watkins was at sam.