What: Wisconsin (2-0) at North Carolina (0-1)
When: 6 p.m. Central, Saturday, Sept. 17
Site: Kenan Stadium (60,000, natural grass)
Broadcasts: ESPN2 live TV coverage; 45-city Wisconsin Radio Network live radio coverage.
North Carolina versus Wisconsin: The Badgers won the only previous meeting between the two schools, a 38-27 decision in Madison two years ago. In that game, Lee Evans became UW's all-time receptions leader, surpassing Al Toon during a 5-catch, 80-yard performance. Booker Stanley ran for 119 yards and three touchdowns and Dwayne Smith added 73 rushing yards, helping UW make up for some suspect special teams play. Michael Waddell opened the game with a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, and Mike Mason had a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown that was called back due to penalty. UNC safety Mahlon Carey, now a senior, had a pair of interceptions.
Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez is in his 16th season at UW. He has a 110-70-4 career record.
North Carolina coach John Bunting is in his 10th season as a head coach, and fifth at the helm of the Tar Heels, Bunting is 57-45-2 (North Carolina, Division III Glassboro State) in his career and 19-31 at North Carolina. Prior to arriving at UNC, he spent eight years as an NFL assistant coach with the Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints.
- UNC is 2-2 in home openers under Bunting.
- The Badgers have won 14 of their last 15 regular season non-conference games.
- With a win Saturday, UW would open a season 3-0 for the third time in the past four years.
- Wisconsin is 3-0 all-time versus Atlantic Coast Conference opponents. North Carolina is 11-7 all-time against Big Ten foes.
- Badger quarterback John Stocco is 11-3 as a starter. His 2,418 career passing yards rank 13th in school history.
- Alvarez has the ninth most wins at one institution in Big Ten history. With a win Saturday he will tie former Ohio State coach Jon Cooper for eighth.
- Badger opponents have rushed for more than 100 yards just four times in the past two seasons. (10 of 14 games)
- Six of North Carolina's assistant coaches have coached at a Big Ten institution: John Gutekunst (Minnesota 1984-91), offensive line coach Hal Hunter (Indiana 2000-01), running backs coach and special teams coordinator Andre Powell (Indiana), defensive line coach Brad Lawing (Michigan State 1999-2002), Tommy Thigpen (Illinois 2003-04), offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Gary Tranquill (Ohio State 1978-79; MSU '95-98).
- UNC receiver Jawarski Pollack is 14 receptions shy of UNC career record. UW receiver Brandon Williams is 27 receptions shy of school career record.
- Two UNC football players—receivers Jesse Holley and Brooks Foster—were also members of the Tar Heel men's basketball team that beat Wisconsin in the Elite Eight last spring.
- The Tar Heels are in the midst of a monster of a schedule, one that CBSSportsline.com ranked the most difficult in the nation before the season. Wisconsin is one of eight 2004 bowl teams on UNC's schedule.
Preseason North Carolina coverage