What: No. 15 Wisconsin (7-1 overall, 4-1 Big Ten) at Illinois (2-5, 0-4)
When: 11 a.m. Central, Saturday, Oct. 29
Site: Memorial Stadium (69,249, turf)
Broadcasts: ESPN live TV coverage; 45-city Wisconsin Radio Network live radio coverage.
Illinois versus Wisconsin: Illinois leads the all-time series 35-31-7. Wisconsin has won the last two meetings, including a 24-7 decision in Madison last year. The Illini, however, beat the Badgers in both 2001 and 2002.
Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez is in his 16th and final season at UW. He has a 115-71-4 career record, including a 64-58-3 mark in conference games.
Alvarez all-time versus Illinois
|Oct. 27, 1990||Camp Randall||No. 5 Illinois 21, Wisconsin 3|
|Nov. 2, 1991||Memorial Stadium||Illinois 22, Wisconsin 6|
|Oct. 31, 1992||Camp Randall||Illinois 13, Wisconsin 12|
|Nov. 11, 1993||Memorial Stadium||No. 14 Wisconsin 35, Illinois 10|
|Nov. 19, 1994||Camp Randall||Wisconsin 19, Illinois 13|
|Nov. 25, 1995||Camp Randall Stadium||Wisconsin 3, Illinois 3|
|Nov. 23, 1996||Memorial Stadium||Wisconsin 35, Illinois 15|
|Oct. 11, 1997||Camp Randall Stadium||Wisconsin 31, Illinois 7|
|Oct. 17, 1998||Memorial Stadium||No. 9 Wisconsin 37, Illinois 3|
|Oct. 20, 2001||Memorial Stadium||Illinois 42, Wisconsin 35|
|Nov. 9, 2002||Camp Randall Stadium||Illinois 37, Wisconsin 20|
|Sept. 27, 2003||Memorial Stadium||Wisconsin 38, Illinois 20|
|Oct. 2, 2004||Camp Randall Stadium||No. 20 Wisconsin 24, Illinois 7|
Illinois coach Ron Zook is in his fourth season as a head coach and first at Illinois. He has a 25-19 career record (Florida, Illinois).
Wisconsin season-to-date (links to BadgerNation.com coverage)
WISCONSIN 56, Bowling Green 42
WISCONSIN 65, Temple 0
Wisconsin 14, NORTH CAROLINA 5
WISCONSIN 23, Michigan 20
WISCONSIN 41, Indiana 24
NORTHWESTERN 51, Wisconsin 48
Wisconsin 38, MINNESOTA 34
WISCONSIN 31, Purdue 20
Illinois season-to-date (links to Fox Sports Game Trax coverage)
- A win at Illinois would give Wisconsin eight victories for the 10th time in the modern era. Nine of those eight-win seasons have come during Barry Alvarez's tenure as head coach.
- The Badgers are 16-4 since the beginning of the 2004 season, better than all but seven teams in the nation.
- UW's defense has forced 13 turnovers in the past four games, after causing just five in the season's first four games.
- Illinois is last in the Big Ten in scoring defense, allowing 39.9 points per game (all games).
- Wisconsin leads the Big Ten in scoring offense and is No. 7 nationally, averaging 39.5 points per game. The modern-era school record is 34.5 points per game.
- The Illini have been out-scored 195-44 in four conference games, and 124-24 in two league home games.
- Illinois is last in the Big Ten in scoring offense at 19.6 points per game; the Badgers are fifth in the league in scoring defense at 24.5 points per game allowed. UW is No. 7 in total defense, allowing 412.0 yards per game.
- The Illini are last in the league in rushing defense (226.7 yards per game); Wisconsin is eighth (165.9).
- Badger quarterback John Stocco is tied for sixth on UW's all-time career list with 23 touchdown passes, including 14 this season and 10 in the past four games. He needs two touchdown passes to surpass Mike Samuel for fifth all-time.
- UW has scored more than 40 points in four games this year. The Badgers reached 40 points seven times in the previous five seasons (2000-04).
- The Badgers are tied for sixth in the nation in third-down efficiency (49.6).
- Conversely, Wisconsin is No. 70 in the nation in third-down defense (39.7). Illinois is No. 106 at 45.7 percent.
- UW is third in the Big Ten in time of possession, and has lost that battle only four times in the past two seasons. Two of those occurrences, however, took place in the last two weeks.
- Wisconsin's defense has not recorded a sack in the last three games, after having 16 in the first five and 14 in the first four.
- Badger tailback Brian Calhoun has 1,423 all-purpose yards this season (1,021 rushing, 402 receiving) and 16 touchdowns (14 rushing, 2 receiving). He is already tied for fourth in school history for touchdowns in a single season (Brent Moss, 1993) and needs just six more to break Ron Dayne's record, set in 1996. Calhoun needs 34 yards to move into the top 10 on that single-season list, and 820 yards to break Dayne's single-season mark of 2,242, also set in 1996.
- Wide receiver/punt returner/kick returner Brandon Williams is also moving steadily up the single-season all-purpose yardage list, with 1,295 this year. Williams has 5,009 career all-purpose yards, second only to Dayne (7,429) in UW history.
Preseason Illinois coverage