What: No. 14 Wisconsin (8-1 overall, 5-1 Big Ten) at No. 10 Penn State (8-1, 5-1)
When: 2:36 p.m. Central, Saturday, Nov. 5
Site: Beaver Stadium (107,282, grass)
Broadcasts: ABC live TV coverage; 45-city Wisconsin Radio Network live radio coverage.
Penn State versus Wisconsin: Wisconsin leads the all-time series 7-3 and has won four of the last five meetings, including a 16-3 decision last season in Madison. UW came away with a victory in each of its last two trips to Penn State.
Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez is in his 16th and final season at UW. He has a 116-71-4 career record, including a 65-58-3 mark in conference games.
Alvarez all-time versus Penn State
|Sept. 30, 1995||Beaver Stadium||Wisconsin 17, No. 6 Penn State 9|
|Nov. 2, 1996||Camp Randall||No. 3 Penn State 23, Wisconsin 20|
|Nov. 22, 1997||Beaver Stadium||No. 6 Penn State 35, No. 24 Wisconsin 10|
|Nov. 21, 1998||Camp Randall||No. 13 Wisconsin 24, No. 14 Penn State 3|
|Sept. 22, 2001||Beaver Stadium||Wisconsin 18, Penn State 6|
|Oct. 5, 2002||Camp Randall||No. 20 Penn State 34, No.19 Wisconsin 31|
|Oct. 4, 2003||Beaver Stadium||Wisconsin 30, Penn State 23|
|Sept. 25, 2004||Camp Randall||No. 20 Wisconsin 16, Penn State 3|
Penn State coach Joe Paterno is in his 40th season as a head coach, all at the helm of the Nittany Lions. Paterno is 351-117-3 overall and 62-40 in 12 seasons in the Big Ten.
Wisconsin season-to-date (links to BadgerNation.com coverage)
WISCONSIN 56, Bowling Green 42
WISCONSIN 65, Temple 0
Wisconsin 14, NORTH CAROLINA 5
WISCONSIN 23, Michigan 20
WISCONSIN 41, Indiana 24
NORTHWESTERN 51, Wisconsin 48
Wisconsin 38, MINNESOTA 34
WISCONSIN 31, Purdue 20
Wisconsin 41, ILLINOIS 24
Penn State season-to-date (links to FightOnState.com coverage)
PENN STATE 23, South Florida 13
PENN STAT 42, Cincinnati 24
PENN STATE 40, Central Michigan 3
Penn State 34, NORTHWESTERN 29
PENN STATE 44, Minnesota 14
PENN STATE 17, Ohio State 10
MICHIGAN 27, Penn State 25
Penn State 63, Illinois 10
PENN STATE 33, Purdue 15
- In conference-only games this season, Wisconsin leads the Big Ten in scoring offense, averaging 37 points per game. Penn State is tied for second with Northwestern at 36 points per game.
- The Nittany Lions' defense has allowed just 17.5 points per game in six Big Ten contests, the best mark in the league. Wisconsin is fifth at 28.8 points allowed per game.
- The Badgers, however, are ranked eighth in the Big Ten in total offense (381.5 yards per game) and ninth in total defense (486.7 yards allowed per game) in conference-only affairs. Penn State is No. 4 in total offense (431.3) and No. 2 in total defense (306.7).
- Wisconsin's +8 turnover margin in Big Ten play is second only to Northwestern and the Badgers lead the league in net punting (40.7 yards per attempt) and punt returns (15.7 yards per return). Penn State is fourth in turnover margin(+4), third in net punting (39.1) and fourth in punt returns (10.0).
- Badger running back Brian Calhoun is third in the Big Ten in rushing (conference-only games), averaging 124.5 yards per game. But UW's team is No. 10 in the league in rushing at 144.2 yards per game. UW is also 10th in the league in rushing defense, allowing 244.8 yards per game. Penn State is No. 2 in both of those categories, averaging 232.5 rushing yards per game while allowing 131.8.
- Wisconsin is third in the Big Ten in pass efficiency at 146.3. Penn State leads the league in pass efficiency defense at 99.1
- Penn State is the least penalized team in the league, forfeiting just 32.3 yards per game. Wisconsin's opponents have been the most penalized opponents in the Big Ten, with an average assessment of 76.7 yards per game.
- Penn State is a perfect 6-for-6 on fourth-down conversions this season.
- Wisconsin is No. 2 in the Big Ten in red zone efficiency, having scored on 24 of its 26 red zone opportunities (92.3 percent). The Badgers lead the Big Ten in points-per-red-zone possession, at 4.8.
- A win Saturday would give the Badgers their sixth nine-win season under coach Barry Alvarez. It would also be the fifth time under Alvarez that the team has won six games in Big Ten play.
- Last season in Madison, Penn State's Michael Robinson suffered a concussion that forced him to miss the better part of three games. Before he was injured, he caught one pass for 49 yards, completed 1 of 3 passes for 6 yards and was credited with five rushing attempts for -3 yards. It as a completely different story for Robinson two years ago, the last time Wisconsin visited Penn State. In that game, Robinson's first as a starting quarterback, he threw for 379 yards and rushed for 19. The Lions lost, however.
- Wisconsin tailback Brian Calhoun needs one touchdown to break Ron Dayne's single-season school record.
- With 1,858 passing yards this season, UW quarterback John Stocco is just 142 away from becoming only the fifth player in school history to throw for 2,000 yards in a season. Stocco, who had 1,999 passing yards last year, is up to seventh on the school career list with 3,980 passing yards. He needs just 27 yards to surpass Tony Lowery for sixth and 519 to move beyond Jim Sorgi for fifth.
Preseason Penn State coverage