Bounce back with a fury

Wisconsin crushes Michigan Tech 7-0

After Friday night's debacle, University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves said the most important thing would be how the Badgers responded Saturday.

He could not ask for much more as his team came back and outworked Michigan Tech in a 7-0 drubbing in front of an announced crowd of 14,670 at the Kohl Center.

Wisconsin did not allow a shot on net until more than 13 minutes into the game, helping the Badgers to jump out to a 3-0 first-period lead and they never looked back.

Senior captain Adam Burish, who blamed himself first and foremost for Friday's loss, lit the fire for UW with an early shorthanded goal at 6:02 of the opening period.

"I thought we got outworked," Tech head coach Jaime Russell. "It was the polar opposite of last night when our penalty outworked their power play."

"It was a great response by these young men tonight, led by their captain who goes out and (gets) a shorthanded goal right away," Eaves said.

Robbie Earl and Jake Dowell followed Burish's lead, each netting a power-play goal over the next six minutes, forcing Russell to pull goalie Michael-Lee Teslak in favor of fellow-rookie Rob Nolan less than 12 minutes into the game.

"You've got to reach that level where you respect your opponent and come out and play every night, especially in this league where any team can beat any team," Earl said.

Sophomore defenseman Kyle Klubertanz got his second goal in as many weekends in the second period to give the Badgers a 4-0 lead heading into the second intermission.

He would get another tally in the third and finished with a four-point night, his personal best.

"A lot of it had to do with our power play getting back on track," Klubertanz said. "Things were clicking out there."

After going 0-for-8 the night before, the Badgers' power play came back with a 3-for-9 effort Saturday.

Earl also got his second goal of the night in the third period and rookie Jack Skille got in the action as well with a nifty top-shelf wrister to close out the scoring effort at 13:18 of the final period.

"I think that the guys, after last night's game, they had extra reasons to stay focused and put an exclamation mark at the end of the game," Eaves said.

The game was marred by 151 minutes of penalties. Stemming from an incident the night before, things spiraled downwards in the third period as the teams combined for 98 minutes in the final stanza alone.

"They were upset last night, one of their players got hurt at the end of the game," Eaves said. "He went to hit Nick (Licari) and Nick ducked and the guy went over him and hit his shoulder on the board. I think what they thought he was doing was submarining them. And he wasn't. He was ducking to get out of the way of getting run."

Lost in the game was a second straight Saturday shutout for goalie Brian Elliott, who, though he only had to make 17 saves, came up with a few big ones.

Nolan finished with 25 saves in more than 48 minutes of relief work.

The win salvaged two points for Wisconsin and kept it six points ahead of Minnesota atop the WCHA standings.

"[Last night] bothered me all day," Burish said. "… To slip up like that left a real sour taste in my mouth and it still does a little bit. But we've got some time off and hopefully I can blow it off here."

While Wisconsin (14-2-2 overall, 11-1-2 WCHA) gets a break from conference action, Michigan Tech (3-12-1, 2-9-1) hosts Minnesota State for a league series next weekend.

Box score (pdf)

Badger Nation Top Stories