The Badgers practiced on a foggy, cloudy Monday morning at the O'Connor Center, kicking off their first full week of two-a-day practices. Here are some notes/thoughts from Monday morning's session:
- Coach Barry Alvarez addressed the fact that Darrin Charles' injury was reported by a local television station, which he was not pleased about. He said if any injury is serious or will keep a player out for an extended period of time, he will inform the media. But if media sources continue to report on minor injuries, he will have to react accordingly (such a shut down camp).
- Jeff Mack and Matt Katula missed the morning practice because of summer school classes. A number of players have run into conflicts with evening meetings and even practice sessions because summer school is still going on. In Mack's place was true freshman Mark Zalewski, who played very well in Mack's absence. Katula is the No. 1 long snapper this year, and in his place was Ben Johnson and Donovan Raiola.
- Byron Brown had an outstanding practice Monday morning, making several really nice grabs downfield. With his experience and consistency, he is a strong candidate to fill one of the top two wide receiver spots in Lee Evans' absence. Another player that had an outstanding practice (and this is becoming redundant) is Brandon Williams. He has been extremely solid every session. Williams made the play of the day (again) with a one-handed grab, diving down the left sideline.
- The Badgers continued their kicker competition at the end of Monday morning's session. This time, Scott Campbell did take some reps at punter. Adam Espinoza drilled all three of his field goal attempts, with plenty of room to spare.
- Former Badgers Tarek Saleh and Ben Herbert conditioned at practice Monday morning. Another notable attendee was Wheaton North offensive lineman Akim Millington, a mammoth recruit that is one of the top linemen in the Midwest.
- Greg Root and Mike Kleber are among the players getting looks with the No. 2 defense.
- Coach Alvarez spoke after Monday morning's practice. His comments will be posted verbatim in a separate update.
Monday Morning Practice Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
Red/White ObservationsThoughts and observations from No.10 Wisconsin's Red/White Scrimmage at the Kohl Center Sunday
Badger Nation1:23 PM
Badgers Drop Out of Top 10Although its road win gave them an important tiebreaker in the Big Ten West, Wisconsin didn't impress enough pollsters to stay in the top 10 before its weekend matchup against No.7…
Game Balls: Wisconsin at IowaBadgerNation awards the game balls for No. 10 Wisconsin’s 17-9 victory over the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Badger Nation7:52 AM
Notes: Biegel's Return a Boost for WisconsinRead out Vince Biegel's return to the lineup, Wisconsin's two-quarterback system, its multiple offensive line system and more in our insider postgame notebook.
Badger Nation1:18 AM
Fresh Faces Make the DifferenceIn one of Wisconsin's most competitive rivalries, the Badgers' freshmen - namely Quintez Cephus, Kyle Penniston and A.J. Taylor - made a big difference.
Badger NationYesterday at 3:17 PM