The Badgers were forced indoors for the first time of fall camp Tuesday morning, being bumped into the McClain Center because of inclement weather. Coach Barry Alvarez said he hopes to practice outdoors this afternoon if the weather is decent. The fields at the O'Connor Center drain very well, so if it stops raining, the Badgers will return outdoors in a few hours for the second practice.
Here are some notes/thoughts from the morning session:
- Dan Buenning remained in a jersey/shorts for the morning practice. He hopes to be available for the first game next Friday.
- The practice was conducted in full pads, as was Monday morning's workout. The last full scrimmage of fall camp will be held Wednesday afternoon at Camp Randall Stadium. It will be situational scrimmage, focusing on short-yardage and goal line situations, although the staff might have the younger players scrimmage in the a game-like situation. Alvarez said his staff has not decided that yet.
- Wendell Bryant attended Tuesday morning's practice. As he walked past the media, he jokingly shouted, "Don't even ask me the question. Of course I'm supposed to be in training camp!"
- Linebacker Alex Lewis worked with the No. 1 defense Tuesday morning because Broderick Williams was ill. Williams participated in individual drills but did not participate in the team portion of practice.
"The other kid was hurt, let's not try to read anything into that," Alvarez said. "Alex has played well since we've been here. We try to get a lot of rotation, and Broderick got sick today. They're both going to play. It's not anointing anyone No. 1 or No. 2. They're both going to play."
- B.J. Tucker and Jim Leonhard both had strong practices Tuesday morning. For those that haven't seen either of these two players since last spring, it's often a major surprise to see how they've developed. Tucker and Leonhard both had nice reads for interceptions during team drills.
- Chuckie Cowans has changed his number to No. 1. Please click on "current roster" on the left-hand side of the front page for all of the latest number changes, heights and weights. They have all changed since the media guide was printed. Our front page has the most up-to-date roster available anywhere.
- Darius Jones continues to get lots of reps with the No. 1 defense. Because of the rotation, there could be a different starting lineup from week-to-week with the front four.
- Anthony Davis continues to look sharp in inside running drills and team offense. If he can stay healthy, he should have the monster season everybody is expecting out of him.
- Check out a separate update posted before the afternoon session with some interesting comments from Alvarez.
Tuesday Morning Practice Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
Wisconsin N.F.L. Draft Preview - SleepersAfter Wisconsin had two players selected in Thursday's first round, the Badgers could have a number of seniors selected Friday and Saturday. We take a closer look.
Badger NationYesterday at 2:14 PM
At Long Last, Williams Gets Wisconsin OfferClass of 2019 standout Kyren Williams is a prospect that the Big 10 Conference schools are already tracking closely. He has secured his first three offers from and they are all…
Scout FootballYesterday at 9:46 AM
Big Draft Night for WisconsinWisconsin has multiple first-rounders for fifth time in school history, as outside linebacker T.J. Watt and offensive tackle Ryan Ramczyk - a couple early entrants - get picked on…
Badger NationThursday at 9:01 PM
Watt Headed to the Steel CityConsidered by some experts as the best outside linebacker in the draft, former Wisconsin standout T.J. Watt was selected by Pittsburgh with the 30th overall pick
Badger NationThursday at 12:22 PM
Ramczyk Drafted by New OrleansA consensus first-team All-American in his lone season on the field, former Wisconsin offensive lineman Ryan Ramczyk is heading to the New Orleans Saints.
Badger NationThursday at 12:18 PM