Ohio State Upends Wisconsin in Finals

Shane Connelly stopped 25 shots, but it wasn't enough, as the Badgers were downed 5-3 by the Buckeyes in the Lefty McFadden Invitational finals.

DAYTON - The Wisconsin men's hockey team was unable to come back from an early deficit, as they fell to Ohio State, 5-3, on Saturday in the championship game of the Lefty McFadden Invitational

Ohio State got on the board early with two quick goals within the first five minutes of play, taking a 2-0 lead. The first goal was scored by Matt Mcllvane at 2:12. Kyle Hood and Tom Fritsche both attempted to slip the puck past Badger goaltender Shane Connelly, but it was Mcllvane who found the back of the net. The Buckeyes scored on only their third shot of the game.

The Buckeyes' second goal came less than two minutes later, where freshman Sergio Somma backhanded the puck past Connelly (Cheltenham, Pa.). The power-play goal came at 3:46, bringing Ohio State's lead to 2-0.

Wisconsin responded to the Buckeyes' forceful start with a power-play goal in the ninth minute of the game. Sophomore Jamie McBain (Faribault, Minn.) scored his fourth career goal on a pass from freshman Kyle Turris (New Westminster, B.C.), cutting Ohio State's lead to 2-1. Buckeye defenders attacked Turris, which opened up the middle of the ice. Turris managed to keep the puck alive as he got in a pass to McBain, who cranked a shot from 25 feet out to score on Ohio State goaltender Joseph Palmer.

The scoring frenzy continued in the first period, as Ohio State scored again, bringing its lead to 3-1. Freshman Patrick Shafer scored on his own rebound, getting the puck past Connelly, who was down from the initial save. Shafer's goal came with less than four minutes left in the first.

Wisconsin was not ready to back down. Connelly made a huge save on an Ohio State two-on-one, keeping the Badgers within two. The Badgers were then able to pull within one, thanks to an eighteenth-minute goal by assistant captain Ben Street. The four-on-four score, which cut Ohio State's lead to 3-2, was assisted by freshman Brendan Smith and Turris, his second assist of the game.

Wisconsin entered the locker room, trailing 3-2 at the first intermission. The Badgers were out-shot 15-to-11 in the opening stanza.

Wisconsin was quick to tie-up the game, as Turris scored his second career goal in only his second game as a Badger at 2:20. Turris collected a pass from Turnbull and tucked the puck into the upper corner of the Ohio State net, over Palmer's glove. Turris' goal, which was both perfectly planned and released, brought the Badgers back 3-3.

Ohio State answered back with a power-play goal by John Dingel with just 1:30 left in the second period. The Buckeyes closed the period with a 4-3 lead. They did not let the Badgers answer back this time, as Ohio State scored again, six minutes into the third. Corey Elkins capitalized on a turnover by the Badgers, backhanding in the goal which brought the Buckeyes up 5-3.

Connelly stopped 25 shots for the Badgers, while Ohio State's Palmer stopped 27. Both teams ended with 30 shots on goal.

Wisconsin was charged with seven penalties for 14 minutes in the box. The Buckeyes had eight penalties, and were two-for-seven on the power play.

Badger Nation Top Stories