The Badgers held their second spring practice late Friday afternoon in the McClain Center. Again, this was pretty basic spring football - installation of fundamental offensive and defensive formations, shoulder pads and helmets only. There has not been any hitting yet, and nothing complex has been installed as of yet.
Here are a few notes/thoughts from Friday's practice:
- Wendell Bryant stopped by practice for a few minutes. Bryant looks in tremendous shape, and is loving Arizona. Once he was signed by Arizona, things got a lot better. He has great things to say about the Cardinals coaching staff and players. The Cardinal management certainly didn't make things easy on him as a rookie free agent last summer, but once that was behind him, things have been wonderful.
- Lee Evans underwent individual drills on the sideline alone, then with the guidance of a trainer. Evans looks great, as he was going through footwork drills that required change of direction and quick steps. The word around practice is that Evans is right on target and he is still expected to be 100 percent next fall.
- John Stocco threw a couple of beautiful balls in skeleton drills. His style is very similar to that of Brooks Bollinger, and much like Bollinger, he has a very accurate, strong arm. He threw a 50-yard bullet to Zach Hampton just past the outstetched arms of Brett Bell in what was the play of the day.
- Matt Bernstein and Greg Root continue to be the only players practicing at fullback, giving them more than their fair share of reps.
- Anthony Davis participated in his first spring practice after missing Thursday's opener with a class conflict.
- Enrique Cook and Darrin Charles both made some nice grabs during 7-on-7 drills.
- Johnny Sylvain had a nice-looking pass break-up on a ball that was up for grabs between two wide receiver and two defensive backs. Sylvain looks better and more confident than he did last year at this time.
- There have been no noticeable changes to the depth chart we posted last night as of yet. But as most of you realize, that probably won't be the case for long. Things should start heating up next week, and then especially when practice resumes following a two-week hiatus.
Friday Practice Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
State of the Nation - 12.5.16Wisconsin has extended multiple new offers in the 2018 class. Get the story on them and the latest Wisconsin recruiting story lines in this week's State of the Nation
Badger Nation7:35 AM
Travel to the Cotton Bowl with PrimeSportsBadgerNation, through our friends at PrimeSport who partner with the Wisconsin Alumni Association to produce the Official Badger Bowl Tour, is offering travel packages to see No.8…
Badger NationYesterday at 9:37 AM
Badgers Accept Cotton Bowl BidWinning 10 games for the second straight season, Wisconsin qualified for its first New Year's Six bowl game Sunday and will play Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl on Jan.2
Badger NationYesterday at 2:33 AM
Notes: Clement Comes Up One-Yard ShortIn Saturday's championship notebook, hear from tailback Corey Clement about his success (and failure), Wisconsin failing to capitalize early in the second half and more.
Badger NationYesterday at 1:31 AM