The Badgers held their second spring practice late Friday afternoon in the McClain Center. Again, this was pretty basic spring football - installation of fundamental offensive and defensive formations, shoulder pads and helmets only. There has not been any hitting yet, and nothing complex has been installed as of yet.
Here are a few notes/thoughts from Friday's practice:
- Wendell Bryant stopped by practice for a few minutes. Bryant looks in tremendous shape, and is loving Arizona. Once he was signed by Arizona, things got a lot better. He has great things to say about the Cardinals coaching staff and players. The Cardinal management certainly didn't make things easy on him as a rookie free agent last summer, but once that was behind him, things have been wonderful.
- Lee Evans underwent individual drills on the sideline alone, then with the guidance of a trainer. Evans looks great, as he was going through footwork drills that required change of direction and quick steps. The word around practice is that Evans is right on target and he is still expected to be 100 percent next fall.
- John Stocco threw a couple of beautiful balls in skeleton drills. His style is very similar to that of Brooks Bollinger, and much like Bollinger, he has a very accurate, strong arm. He threw a 50-yard bullet to Zach Hampton just past the outstetched arms of Brett Bell in what was the play of the day.
- Matt Bernstein and Greg Root continue to be the only players practicing at fullback, giving them more than their fair share of reps.
- Anthony Davis participated in his first spring practice after missing Thursday's opener with a class conflict.
- Enrique Cook and Darrin Charles both made some nice grabs during 7-on-7 drills.
- Johnny Sylvain had a nice-looking pass break-up on a ball that was up for grabs between two wide receiver and two defensive backs. Sylvain looks better and more confident than he did last year at this time.
- There have been no noticeable changes to the depth chart we posted last night as of yet. But as most of you realize, that probably won't be the case for long. Things should start heating up next week, and then especially when practice resumes following a two-week hiatus.
Friday Practice Report
Badger Nation Top Stories
McCabe Waiting on WisconsinHolding over two dozen offers, Chicago Marist defensive end Gavin McCabe would love to add a scholarship from Wisconsin after Sunday's 'awesome' unofficial visit.
Badger Nation1:13 PM
Spring Practice Report - March 28Wisconsin needs to build depth at receiver to take pressure off passing targets Troy Fumagalli and Jazz Peavy and quarterback Alex Hornibrook. A small sample size shows sophomore…
Badger Nation11:42 AM
Happ named AP Third-Team All-AmericanAfter being the only player in the country to lead his team in every major statistical category in conference play, Wisconsin sophomore Ethan Happ was named a third-team All…
Badger Nation11:11 AM
Spring Position Preview - LinebackersBadgerNation gives a snapshot preview of each position for Wisconsin's spring practices. Part seven is the linebackers.
Badger Nation7:37 AM