If you were paying attention to yesterday's CBS broadcast of The Memorial Tournament, you heard Nick Faldo say a PGA Tour statistics that raised an eyebrow. That stat and four more make up the Monday Morn Stat Quiz. Ready?
- Who is the best lag putter on Tour? Answer: Bubba Watson. When Faldo said that, I was surprised because Watson is known for his drives. But the more I see of Bubba – especially during his two wins at The Masters – the more I see that he is as good a putter as he is driver of the ball. He's also the most entertaining player on the Tour.
- Who has the longest drive in Tour play this year? Answer: Webb Simpson, 397 yards at the Hyundai T of C on the 7th hole. I would have never guessed that one. But there it is on the PGA Tour Statistics page.
- Who has the best birdie-or-better percentage from 200 or more yards? Answer: Rory McIlroy, with an awesome 49.57 percent. He's had 58 birdies in 117 holes when his approach shot is out 200 yards or more.
- Who leads the Tour in putts per round this year? Answer: Charl Schwartzel, with an average of 27.69. His low was 22 putts in one round. Whoa!
- Who leads the Tour in driving distance? Answer: Bubba Watson, with an average of 314.2 yards. Amazing when you consider that Watson has a natural power fade, which means the ball travels much farther because of the curved flight. Faldo talked about this in the Saturday broadcast and said that a 340-yard drive with Watson's fade would be close to 400 yards if he hit straight.