Some big games in Division 5 this week: Valley Christian @ American Leadership (who will challenge Tempe Prep in Section 8) Tonopah Valley @ Paradise Honors (Section 5 vs Section 3) ASU Prep @ Benson (expect Benson to handle them & go 10-0) Round Valley @ Miami (will tell us a lot about Sections 4 & 6)
GridIronWar wrote: Some big games in Division 5 this week: Valley Christian @ American Leadership (who will challenge Tempe Prep in Section 8) Tonopah Valley @ Paradise Honors (Section 5 vs Section 3) ASU Prep @ Benson (expect Benson to handle them & go 10-0) Round Valley @ Miami (will tell us a lot about Sections 4 & 6)
I think ALA beats Valley Christian
TVHS and Paradise is a toss up. Should be a good game.
I think Benson rolls. I thought you were crazy for saying they should go 10-0, but look at there schedule you are right. The remainder of their schedule has a combined record of 7-14.
Can Miami even play with Round Valley? In years past this would be a blow out. I know Miami has an all new coaching staff and you can tell things have changed there but I'm not sure if they have the athletes to run with Round Valley. Looks like they had a real hard time with Benson last week. Miami is defiantly a better team but not sure if they can play with the better Div 5 teams. Anyone that has seen them please let me know.
Well neither them or Paradise has really played any one very tough. I give the edge to Tonopah because of their win over Ben Franklin. I would say that is the best team out of the 6 the two of them have played
There is a lot of teams in D5 that have not really played anyone good yet. I think Paradise has too much speed and have a lot of size up front for Tonopah to handle. I still can't figure out Valley Christian I would not be surprised if either team beats the other by 2 scores or more. This will be a good week for top teams to start rising to the top.
VC will struggle running the ball against ALA. They have 2 DLs that will earn post season honors & their LBs are very well coached. I doubt VC has the beef up front to stop their rushing attack. It will certainly let us know where both teams stand.
2) Joy (cheesecake schedule could hurt them in the playoffs)
3) Benson (would love to see Benson take it for some reason)
4) Round Valley (would love to see a big surprise from this team as well, they have a nice schedule to help their young guys mature)
5) American Leadership (they've played 3 good to average teams and won by 11 to 15 points each game)
6) Scottsdale Christian (see what they do against Tonopah and ALA. Should be wins)
Here's where it gets harder for me.....
7 - 10) Santa Cruz(What happened to the defense against Bisbee?) or Tonopah(I'm just not convinced.) or Bisbee (Same as Santa Cruz, defense?) or Valley Christian (probably need 1 or 2 more players to be any kind of threat) or Paradise Honors (Not a factor, maybe next year) Too many questions???????????
To me, 1 - 5 are the only possible title contenders but teams do improve and injuries do happen.
Joy would lose to any of those 3 teams?? Do not buy it. I do believe Joy would have a hard time beating Tempe Prep, but I think Joy would beat American Leadership soundly. I am not trying to take anything away from American Leadership, but they have beaten no one. Beat Arizona Lutheran 35-20, Tempe Prep beats Arizona Lutheran 47-0. 35-0 at half, so seems as though the dogs were called off. So to me, American Leadership clearly not in the TPA and Joy conversation. Joy and TP are the class of D5. I hope other teams emerge to raise the intensity in the playoffs, but everyone else, with exception to Round Valley are just guesses.
Case and point: Benson- seems like a solid team, but we really have no idea because they have not played, let alone beat anyone worth noting. Time will tell.
SCA can beat any of the top 4 at any time? Do NOT but that. Props to SCA for starting the season off with some W's, but their scores have been unimpressive. A 3 point defeat to American leadership gets glanced over by Tempe Prep and Joy Christian, scaring niether.
A 20 point win over Scottsdale Prep, probably scares no one.
My top 10:
1. Tempe Prep- No one in D5 as good as a great Northwest Christian team, except TP, 'nuff said.
2. Joy Christian- Has the best athlete in the D5 and can score on any play. Great coach, QB, and are improving every year.
3. Round Valley- Played Joy Christian tough, so seem to be an automatic #3.
4. American Leadership- Because who else? I am not sold. Improving program that will be a force in years ahead, but not sold on this year.
5. Benson- Off to solid start with a lot of returners from a good team last year. Would not be surprised if they made the final four.
6. Valley Christian- Do not seem to be a contender, but they are improved and have a great coach.
7. Scottsdale Christian- Love the job coach Gibbs is doing over there. Great group of young men becoming good football team. 2nd round team.
8. Bisbee and Santa Cruz- I know nothing about these teams besides the fact that they were not good last year, played each other tough Friday and have started well.
9. Tonopah Valley- Will make the playoffs this year but will not get past the 2nd round.
10. Paradise Honors- Maybe next year they will be what hype can never be.......REAL.