PrepAZ.com's 4A Pre-Season Top 10
1) Saguaro: O'Boyle and Ashbaugh= experience under pressure. O'Boyle can take over a game from 3, Ashbaugh from inside the paint, and Terrapacki will bail them out when needed. Sauguaro is our Pre-Season #1 and favorite to cut down the nets on Jefferson St.
2) McClintock: Germaine Calvin has elevated himself into the top PG slot. Freeman a top 10 player, but will they play together when the pressure is on? Only time will tell. I see the Chargers coming out of the gate quickly. Coach Fleming is one of the best, and his 94 feet for 32 minute philosophy will run his competition into the ground.
3) Shadow Mountain: Ladi Makinde, Kenny Whitis and the old Paul Westhead uptemp offense spells trouble for any team. Dropping down to 4A will help, but lack of size in the middle could hurt in crunch time. 3's spell wins for the Matadors!
4) Apache Junction: Steve Elman can take over any game but can he carry the load? He has the ability but teammates and his physical strength after 20+ games could hurt. If Elman is on, AJ wins!
5) Chaparral: Andrew Washko and co. plus a new coaching staff hope to get the Firebirds back on top. Our surprise team who could end up as #1 come March!
6) Apollo: Desmond Ondoua & James Lester could give Apollo the 1-2 punch to knock of any top 10 team. Checmistry is the key here for them to make a run in February.
7) Millenium: Ryan Holmes is an All-State player, but
can his supporting cast help lead them to the promise land? Only time and
coaching will tell.
8) Rincon: Chad Davis bangs inside along with Quentin Jimerson. Played tough all summer and their height will be tough to beat.
9) Ironwoodridge: Dylan Johnson & Jeff Blair are the stars and Jesse Vitch & Daniel Borg banging inside the paint, this crew could upset 1-8 any night of the week.
10)Thunderbird: The defending state champs will drop
off in 2003-2004. But when Burke gets healthy, they will make some
Others knocking on the door:
Greenway: 6'9" John Black. Coconino: Garrett Schlenvoght. Jevaughn Jackson. Pinnacle: Ray Murdock. Catalina Foothills.
LOOK FOR OUR PRE-SEASON 4A ALL-STATE TEAM FRIDAY OCTOBER 31.