This week's Top 10 showed a lot of movement, which would lead us to believe:
- We didn't know what we were talking about last week or
- We've seen a lot more teams now and are getting a handle on things.
Let's go with option "B" for now okay?
5A top ten
Rank School (Last Week)
- Highland (1) These guys are for real, and could run the table. Their next big test comes against Mesa January 6. But first travel to Hawaii over the Holidays.
- Chandler (2) It is not just Joey Shaw getting it done, though he probably could do it alone on some nights.
- Deer Valley (B) Our biggest mover this week has shown they are ready to get the ball to Lawrence Hill and ready to hit shots when he kicks it back outside.
- Mesa Mt. View (10) A factor every year, is it their turn to take home the prize?
- Desert Mountain (T-3) Sound fundamental ball, frustrates opponents and makes the coaching staff smile.
- Trevor Browne (3) We'll say it real slow. GET THE BALL TO TY MORRISON, oh, and stop picking up technicals before the game even begins.
- Mesa (9) Moves up in anticipation of Hatch's return (this week or early next). When they're healthy they'll move up more.
- Mountain Ridge (8) Drops a slot but that has less to do with their play and more to do with Deer Valley's.
- Brophy (T-3) Loss against St. Mary's showed chinks in the armor, strong showing at Denver Tourney showed the chinks aren't that big.
- Horizon (NR) A new entry this week. They're beating teams we didn't think they would, that's what gets you on this list.
On the bubble
Marcos de Niza (8):Will they figure out how to spell T-E-A-M-W-O-R-K?
St. Mary's (NR):Beat Brophy, but rivalry games don't often tell how good (or bad) a team really is.
Also receiving votes
Corona del Sol (T-3):Someone still believes in these overachievers.
Salpointe (B):Lost badly this week, but it was against #2 Chandler so how can you really blame them?
Dobson (NR):Too big, and too well coached to ignore.
Desert Vista (NR):"A good loss" is the biggest cliché in the book, but staying with Highland until the final minute is getting to be anything but a cliché.
4A Top Ten
#1 McClintock: Will stay #1 unless they self destruct.
#2 Saguaro: Won 8 in a row.
#3 Shadow Mountain: Only team who can match up to McClintock.
#4 Apache Junction: Weak schedule hurts in big picture. Elman leading POY candidate
#5 Ironwood Ridge: Looking strong down south
#6 Rincon: Big talented front line.
#7 Greenway: Proving people wrong.
#8 Thunderbird: Finding their identity
#9 Millineum: Holmes having huge year in 03.
#10 Coconino: Won Pepsi-Cola Shootout. Coach Commander King getting it done.
On the bubble:
Apollo, Pinnacle, Page