The 6th Annual Arizona Preps Fall Showcase ended it's first full day of competition and many surprise performances capped of competition at Grand Canyon University.
PrepAZ.com will provide complete breakdowns next week, but here are 5 you might not of heard about who stood out today.
6-5 Roger Sharp-Wing-2006-Buena High School
Athletic describes this long armed Junior from Southern Arizona. Active around basket who can block shots and score in traffic. We saw him at the Tucson Showcase, but his performance today has thrust himself into a DI watch category. Plays hard!
6-4 Mike Martin-Wing-2005-Desert View
Martin had his best showing today. Played above rim, knocked down 3's and defended 2 Division I point guards. Martin showed his true athletic ability today, ran the floor and finished opportunities.
6-8 David Jackson-Post-2006-Rincon
Held his own and outplayed some of the "name" Phoenix post players. "Live Legs" as Scout.com's head hoops scout Greg Hicks described his play. Jackson is an interesting prospect. Shot blocker and deceptive inside the paint with his thin frame.
5-10 Vincent Oliver-PG-2007-Westview
Tough, smart pg who makes plays. Good decisions, athletic and lets the game come to him. Oliver is one to watch in the next 2 years.
6-6 Zane Johnson-2G-2007-Thunderbird
More on Johnson this next week, but he is LEGIT! Athletic, smart, plays hard and can shoot it. Second Best 2007 Prospect in Arizona behind Bayless, NO DOUBT. And one of the top 10 overall right now.
More to come Sunday, and full breakdowns Starting Monday.
- Greg Hicks of Scout.com (The Insiders) and Dinos Trigonis of Full Court Press where in attendance along with Rivals Arizona Varsity.
- Eddie Johnson spoke to the kids yesterday on various topics. He spent today watching his Class of 2007 son Justin Johnson of Brophy Prep.
- Team basketball was evident more than usual in a Showcase Setting.
- Matt Gordan (Head Coach-Phoenix College) and his assistant, Vernon Holmes spent today watching "future Bears". Gordan works hard and look for PC to reach respectability a lot sooner than everybody thinks.
- Mason Maynard, 6-8 Class of 2006-Mountain Ridge took a nasty fall in the last game today, and it appears he injured his left arm.
- The Showcase was very well run, and a great event for all AZ players participating.
More coverage Sunday right here on PrepAZ.com, your #1 source for player evaluations, breakdowns and coverage.