Gilbert Tournament Day 1
Day 1 at Gilbert High School lacked the buzz and excitement of the bigger McClintock Tournament but some quality players and a double overtime game highlighted the day.
- Trevor Browne came out in their half court press and played hard until they tired in the 2nd half. They continue to improve and will have some big wins in the coming months!
- Westwood has improved and played hard for 32 minutes. Shane Burcar (Head Coach) will have the Warriors back in the hunt in the near future.
- North High is down this year but Joseph Bustos and co. will be back. It always amazes me the loyalty from past head coaches of the Mustang program and old timers who follow North. Royce Youree and Hector Bejarano (Past head Coaches) are always around! I recruited (to Tulsa) the AZ POY in 1986 (Michael Scott) when Coach Bejarano headed the program and thoroughly enjoyed working with Coach B
- Red Mountain has a sleeper in Braylon Pickerel, a 6-9 slender post with a soft touch and plays hard. A keeper for any local JC. Upside for Pickerel is huge!
- Jerry Connor, Head man for Shadow Mountain does not get the attention or accolades he deserves. After watching the Matadors over the last 16 years he has his team ready to play every night. Their "Run and Stun" offense is a classic and exciting!
- The Mesquite - Mountain Pointe match-up is quickly becoming the best non-conference rivalry in Arizona. Heated and extremely physical, the double overtime thrilla was a classic.
- Barrett Brown, the 5-10 stocky PG for the Pride is quickly raising his stock! He calmly stole the ball with 15 seconds left and nailed a 3 from the left wing to win it! Brown had a great game
- MP's starting 2G, Justin Nelson was back last night after a 3 week injury and looked solid! MP will be tough to beat in the their tough region play!
- Mesquite has 2 solid front line players in Wil Donahue and Gavin Edwards. Donahue is the toughest front line player in the state and Edwards creates a huge presence inside the paint. Donahue has received offers from numerous Mid Major programs but will wait until Spring to decide! Is football in his future? Sounds like it could be…
- Speaking of Mesquite, with those targets on the block, HOW COME they don't get the ball? They scored at will when they had the ball in their hands!
Coaches/Colleges in attendance on day 1. San Jose State
"With those 2 big kids for Mesquite, how come the guards don't get them the ball. Shouldn't they be option #1-#2-#3 #4 and #5?"
A flabergasted Mountain Pointe parent in the stands