Chaparral v. Prescott

Chaparral escapes the high country with a win, downs Prescott

Chaparral headed up I-17 Friday night to pay a visit to the Prescott Badgers at Bill Shepard Field. This was the first time these two teams have played each other since Chaparral beat Prescott in the 2004 first round of playoffs.

The weather was perfect for a night of football. The Prescott community showed up and packed the stands to cheer on their beloved Badgers. Even with smoke that lingered down towards the field all night long from the concession stands.

After last week Prescott wanted to show that they were a better team then what they showed down at Saguaro. Chaparral was coming off a victory in over time down in Tucson at Cienega.

The game started off with Chaparral on offense. The fire birds drove down the field and finished it off with a two yard run from quarterback Stone.

Prescott answered right back on their drive. Quarterback Trevor Cruz hooked up with wide receiver Brian Scates on a 64 yard pass, which resulted in the first touch down of the season for the Badgers.

In the second quarter Brenden Howell knocked another 40 plus yard field goal through the uprights for a 10-7 lead.

Chaparral scored towards the end of the half with a touch down on a two yard pass, to make the score 14-10 in their favor. On the next possession for Prescott the pass was intercepted which gave the Firebirds great field position. The Badger defense was able to hold the Chaparral offense out of the end zone and which held them to a field goal from 24 yards out.

Heading into the locker room at half time the score was 17-10, with Chaparral on top.

In the second half it was all Cummings for Chaparral and all Shipp for Prescott.

Cummings started with a 4 yard touch down catch, to put his team up 24-10. The Badgers didn't quit and came back with a touch down of their own on a 20 yard catch by Chris Shipp. Shipp was able to keep his balance after getting hit and scamper across the goal line. At the end of the third quarter Shipp ran in for another touch down, this time on the ground. The extra point was blocked earlier so Prescott went for a two point play to tie the game at 24, but Chaparral stuffed the attempt.

In the fourth quarter the Fire birds were backed up in their territory.  Quarterback Stone dropped back for a pass and connected with Mike Cummings down the middle on the play of the game, as Cummings juggled the ball but came up with it and ran all the way down the sidelines for a touch down.

The Badgers gave Chaparral all they could handle and almost pulled the game out in the fourth quarter. Prescott left around 5 points off the board due to a missed field goal, blocked extra point and a two point conversion.

This was an improvement over last week. The difference in the game was that Prescott came up with critical mistakes, turnovers and penalties at the worst parts of the game. Chaparral took advantage of the short field on turnovers and made the Badgers pay for it.  

The final score of the game was Chaparral 31, Prescott 22.

Chaparral (3-0) will play home against Copper Canyon on Friday.  Prescott (0-2) will look to get its first win on the season on Friday, when cross town rival Bradshaw Mountain pays Bill Shepard Field a visit.

Game Balls

The game featured a wide receiver from each team. Chaparral's Cummings is a division one prospect, as a senior. Prescott's Scates has the potential to in the future be at the same level.

Chaparral's division one prospect at wide receiver had a monster game. Mike Cummings caught 6 passes for 143 yards, and 2 touchdowns including the play of the game. The Firebirds offense was able to lean on their man to make plays when needed.

Prescott's Brian Scates had 3 catches for 129 yards and a touch down. Only a sophomore, Scates impressed many with his first varsity touch down of his career.

24-7 Football Top Stories