I just wanted to do a random stream of thoughts from the game.
I think most people are expecting
this to get ugly but Johnny Rodriguez is a good coach. He has a tough road ahead
of him at
- McClintock ball. Returned to 40.
- 3rd play- 28 yard pass QB Kelly Kurzman to WR Malcolm Martin.
- I noticed that David Blair not playing fullback. He impressed me last year as a tough runner and an even better blocker. Rumor is that he has been nursing a hamstring injury since this summer.
- McClintock going for it on 4th and 5- complete to Martin.
- I am pleasantly surprised with
- McClintock fumble.
- Tempe QB Pedroo Rubio hits
Antonio Rodriguez. A 15 yard personal foul gives
- Sack by sophomore DE Hayden Tippett of McClintock.
- Man McClintock's has two HUGE DTs! Robert Mahoe goes 6-0 320 and Taylor Fleming is 6-2 305.
2:45 left in 1st. Score 0-0
- Tough run by McClintock's Cody Hughes but flag on next play negates the gain. 2nd and 9.
- Big sack Tempe LB Billy Hammel. 3rd and long.
- Kurzman to TE Jared Ringer for 1st down. Ringer's 2nd catch is food for 31 yards.
- Screen pass to Martin. Big gain, takes it to 10 yard line + facemask. This kid can play!
End of 1. 0-0. McClintock inside 10.
1st quarter thoughts
- I like how both teams have mixed things up and came out with some different stuff. Martin has been the best player thus far.
- Touchdown McClintock. Kurzman to Ringer off of play action pass. 1st play of 2nd quarter. PAT good 7-0 McClintock
- two TFLs by David Blair. He is all over the field.
- Incomplete pass on 3rd down, punt on 4th.
Random thought- McClintock has much more size
- McClintock ball at 45.
- Kurzman is 6 of 8 for 120 yards and TD so far.
- Jinxed him. INT Antonio
- Rubio - Berber 6 yard gain
- McClintock ball at 30.
- No gain on run by Ty Roberts. Neither team has shown any ability to run the ball.
- 1st down run by Martin. So far he has 3 catches for 79 yards plus this run.
- Another no gain.
- McClintock goes for it on
4th down with a fake punt. Broken up,
1:55 left in half.
- Oh O. After a 12 yard gain by on a pass from Kurzman, Martin limps off the field. Looks like an ankle. He has been by far their best weapon.
- Sack Brandon George.
- Shovel pass from Kurzman to Ty Roberts gives McClintock a 1st down and some to score before the half ends.
- A 15 yard block below the waist, incomplete pass and a screen pass end the half. McClintock is up 7-0.
Halftime thoughts- It has been a defensive half. I
was impressed with
- 3rd quarter-
- Rubio to Berber is the only
successful play in the first series but Martin fumbles the punt and
- McClintock QB Kelly Kurzman throws to WR Hussian Harris. The ball was tipped by Rubio, who doubles as a safety, but was caught by Harris and taken inside 20. Harris is a big kid at 6-3 195, wonder why he isn't used much?
- RB Ty Roberts off right for 7 yards
- Blair in it fullback, he gains 7 yards and gets close to a 1st down. 4th and 1.
- A busted by McClintock. They had big Mahoe at FB but were stopped short. Turn over on downs.
- 1st down by RB Mike Waddle.
- At the end of 3. McClintock up
- Again the Buffs come away with no points. Missed field goal.
- McClintock scores again. Kurzman to Ringer again for a TD. PAT good, McClintock up 14-0.
- With 5 minutes to go
- Onside kick kicked out of bounds, McClintock ball.
- Multiple holding calls gives
- Final McClintock- 14
McClintock had over 100 yards in penalties. They also couldn't run the ball well until the 4th quarter. They will have to play better to be competitive in their tough region.
I thought Malcolm Martin, Kelly Kurzman and Jared Ringer all played well for the Charger offense. I liked what DT Robert Mahoe and David Blair did on D.