Centennial v. Sunrise Mountain

Coyotes remain undefeated with a win over Sunrise.

For about half a quarter Sunrise Mountain had top-ranked Centennial right where they wanted them.

After forcing the Coyotes to punt their opening drive, Sunrise Mountain took over possession in Centennial territory.  After picking up a quick first down the ensuing drive would stall, but the punt that would follow placed Centennial deep in the shadow of their goal post.  With the Coyotes faced with a third-and-five inside their ten, the improbable seemed to be taking root. 

Enter John Hughes.

Hughes, Centennial's star senior back, would gallop some 61-yards deep into Mustang territory to keep the Centennial drive alive.  Later in the series, Hughes would score the first of his four touchdowns on the night to jumpstart a 55-0 Coyote victory.


Following Hughes' first score, the Centennial defense would tighten up and hold Sunrise Mountain to a punt.  The five-foot-six dynamo would handle the kick and scamper down field to the Mustang nine.  One play later Hughes would reach the end zone again, pushing the Centennial lead to 14-0. 


On Centennial's next possession an eleven-yard sack by Scott Kikes would force Centennial into another crucial third down situation, where this time junior receiver Kyle Coffey would respond with a 42-yard reception from Dain McFarland.  A 23-yard run by Hughes would place the ball on the Mustang one-yard line, where Hughes would punch in the Coyotes' third score of the night.


For the rest of the half Centennial would exploit Mustang mistakes to build on their lead.  On first down at the Mustang 20, Centennial linebacker Austin Arias would recover a Kyle Young fumble to re-gain possession for the Coyotes.  Centennial would reach deep in their playbook on first down, flanking quarterback McFarland wide while junior wide receiver Sean Dumdie took the snap out of the shotgun.  Running straight into the Sunrise Mountain defense, Dumdie would find the end zone to give Centennial a 28-0 lead.

A quick three-and-out would force Sunrise Mountain to punt on the ensuing drive, where a bad snap would result in Young being dropped on his own six-yard line.  Hughes would sprint around left end for the quick score and the 35-0 lead.

Then, with just over a minute left in the first half, Coffey would pick off Young's third-down pass, returning it for Centennial's sixth score of the night.

On Centennial's first possession of the second half they would get their fifth Hughes score of the night, this time coming courtesy of junior back Anthony Hughes.  Taking the ball at the Coyote 37, the 200-pounder would blast through would-be Mustang tacklers en route to the 63-yard score. 


With a running clock being instituted there on after, Centennial's backups would score once more in the fourth quarter.


The outcome was probably what most would expect when a team with a 20-game win streak takes on a squad playing out a one-win campaign.  A deep, talented, experienced Centennial squad pitched their third consecutive shut-out while holding Sunrise Mountain to just two first-half first downs.


John Hughes filled up the Centennial stat sheet yet again, rushing for 118 yards, scoring four touchdowns, and continually ripping off substantial return yardage.  Coffey was a standout on both sides of the ball, setting up one of John Hughes' touchdowns and scoring his second defensive touchdown of the year.  For Sunrise Mountain, senior defensive lineman Scott Kikes would notch a pair of sacks for the night.      

24-7 Football Top Stories