1. (1) Serra (San Mateo) 20-3
2. (3) St. Francis (Mountain View) 16-4
3. (10) Armijo (Fairfield) 18-2
4. (4) Leland (San Jose) 16-2
5. (2) Clayton Valley (Concord) 15-3
6. (5) Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland) 14-2
7. (7) Casa Grande (Petaluma) 14-0
8. (9) Las Lomas (Walnut Creek) 12-0
9. (8) Leigh (San Jose) 17-4-1
10. (12) Valley Christian (San Jose) 15-6-1
11. (13) Deer Valley (Antioch) 14-4-1
12. (11) Wilcox (Santa Clara) 16-5
13. (14) California (San Ramon) 11-4
14. (17) Mitty (San Jose) 14-6
15. (16) North Monterey County (Castroville) 20-4
16. (nr) De La Salle (Concord) 11-5
17. (nr) Ukiah 10-2
18. (nr) Benicia 12-5-1
19. (nr) El Cerrito 11-3
20. (nr) San Ramon Valley (Danville) 12-8
Notes & Highlights
This week and last week is Easter tourney time for many of the top teams in the Bay Area and across the state. Two that wrapped up last Saturday were the Knights of Columbus Serra Spring Classic and the Cupertino Host Lions Tournament. Top-ranked Serra of San Mateo won its own tourney with a 5-3 victory over Monte Vista of Danville. That result also avenged an earlier loss the Padres took this season. Mitty won the Cupertino event with a 12-5 triumph over Terra Nova as Danny Dressman homered twice for the Monarchs.
This week, Mitty's own West Coast Classic takes center stage as the Monarchs plus St. Francis and other top-ranked Bay Area teams will be challenged by some strong competition from Southern California and beyond.
It sure was a monster comeback in our Monster Game that featured El Cerrito and Encinal of Alameda. The Gauchos trailed 10-1 after four innings, but instead of getting mercy-ruled they rallied for a 14-10 victory. Greg Murray hit a three-run homer to get things rolling and Randy Minnix had a three-run double to cap a six-run seventh inning that won the game. Earlier in the week, Murray went 5-for-5 in El Cerrito's 7-6 win over Alameda.
Teddy Saenz cracked three doubles and drove in five runs as Leland stayed hot in the Mount Hamilton League with a 12-2 win over Santa Teresa. League rival Leigh made the Chargers' record look even better when the Longhorns beat defending CCS champ Wilcox, 6-4, on Saturday in a pool play game of the Valley Christian San Jose Sharks Crown Classic.
Special mention this week goes to the Menlo School baseball team, which won its bracket championship at the Bishop Gorman tourney in Las Vegas. The Knights, which have a Div. IV enrollment in California, took on schools with enrollments of 2,000 or higher in Vegas and did exceptionally well. Menlo's final two outings of the event saw the Knights defeat Clark of Las Vegas, 8-3, and Gardena, 15-6.