STATE TOP 20 OVERALL
(All divisions; after games of March 2)
1. (1) Westchester (Los Angeles) 28-2
It's doubtful national No. 5 Comets will allow repeat of last year's stunning upset in first-round of SoCal playoffs.
2. (2) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 27-4
Wonder if Monarchs will enjoy this year's Div. II playoffs as much as last year in Div. I when so many other strong teams were in their midst.
3. (3) Fairfax (Los Angeles) 29-4
Didn't drop Lions in the state after losing to Westchester again since margin was only 57-50. Only team to beat Hawaii state champ Iolani.
4. (6) Poly (Long Beach) 28-3
Almost put Jackrabbits at No. 3 after strong week, but they still moved up into top 25 of Student Sports FAB 50.
5. (7) Technical (Oakland) 25-3
After win that clinched OAL title, players said, "We want Westchester," to Cal-Hi Sports Bay Area host Robert Braunstein.
6. (8) Horizon (San Diego) 25-4
Nate Carter has not had to shine alone so far in postseason; others stepping up big for SoCal Div. IV top-seeded Panthers.
7. (9) Clovis West (Fresno) 27-3
Playing at home against Ike could carry Eagles to SoCal Div. I semis, but then Westchester likely awaits.
8. (14) Redondo (Redondo Beach) 23-6
Little wary of putting Seahawks this high after last-second wins over Santa Margarita and M.L. King, but starting five is first-rate as has been schedule.
9. (15) De La Salle (Concord) 25-4
Spartans looking for another game against Oakland Tech in NorCal Div. I final to show how much they've learned since being dominated by the Bulldogs in January.
10. (5) Eisenhower (Rialto) 27-3
Could've not dropped the Eagles so far, but loss to Poly came in game they fell behind by 20 points.
11. (9) M.L. King (Riverside) 27-4
Tough road ahead for Wolves as they have to travel to Helix of La Mesa for first-round SoCal Div. II playoff game.
12. (4) Centennial (Compton) 28-1
First loss of the season by Apaches came by just two so they were able to stay ahead of six-loss team they lost to.
13. (11) St. Mary's (Berkeley) 27-3
If guard John Sharper and big man Simon Knight both get hot in the same game, watch out.
14. (17) Garces (Bakersfield) 27-4
Rams were intense on defense and balanced on offense vs. SJ Memorial, two good things for upcoming SoCal Div. IV playoffs.
15. (18) Verbum Dei (Los Angeles) 27-3
The way the Eagles looked in win last week over Serra, coach David Greenwood has a good chance to win third Div. IV state title.
16. (20) Loyola (Los Angeles) 26-4
Cubs' CIFSS Div. I-A crown only merits a No. 7 seed in SoCal playoffs and date with L.B. Poly in round one.
17. (12) Serra (Gardena) 26-4
Still like the fact the Cavs won the Del Rey League over Bishop Amat and Bishop Montgomery.
18. (nr) Bishop Montgomery (Torrance) 24-6
Knights are poised to win a third straight Div. III state title, but they might have to beat Centennial a second time.
19. (nr) Sacred Heart Cathedral (SF) 27-4
Irish defeated Riordan for the second straight time, but could be forced to make it three in a row in NorCal Div. III final.
20. (nr) Carlsbad 27-4
Home cooking could carry the Lancers all the way to the SoCal Div. I championship game.