The nation's top-ranked tight end, Carson (Calif.) Morrell Presley, leads the final rankings of tight ends in California in the class of 2009, but Stanford has the best 1-2 punch in Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo...
The West is home to four of the top tight ends in the country, and the top two
overall in Presley and Toilolo. It's another strong year at the top for
tight ends in the West, with Stanford
the biggest beneficiary.
1. Morrell Presley, Carson (Calif.)-
Presley is the best receiving tight end in the country and was an UnderArmour
2. Zach Ertz, Danville (Calif.) Monte Vista-
May be the most complete tight end in the region, Ertz has a nice frame and is
tough to bring down.
3. Levine Toilolo, La Mesa (Calif.) Helix-
Earned the nickname "Red Zone". A big target with soft hands.
4. Christopher Coyle, Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian- Arizona State
Good quickness and route running, Coyle can take a hit, and will deliver one,
with the ball in his hands.
5. J.T. Kerr, San Diego (Calif.) Scripps Ranch-
Despite some injuries during the season, was a legitimate threat in the Scripps
6. Marlion Barnett, Corona (Calif.) Santiago-
A good athlete, Barnett excels at receiving and could even play linebacker in
7. Gregory Smith, Perris (Calif.) Citrus Hill- Arizona State
Another gifted two-way athlete, is one of the more physically impressive players
8. Terrence Miller, Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde-
Big, rangy target could also end up playing receiver in college.
9. Trevor Peterson, Placerville (Calif.) El Dorado- Boise State
As physical a player as you'll find at this position, Peterson does it all for
El Dorado, playing tight end and safety.
Gavin Escobar, Santa Margarita (Calif.)- San Diego State
Another big, rangy receiver who will probably see a lot of throws coming his way in Al Borges' offense.
The Next 10 (in alphabetical order):
Brent Bettencourt, Clovis (Calif.)
Delton Edwards, Pinole (Calif.) Valley
Denzel Pruitt, Sacramento (Calif.)
D.J. Maciel, Hanford (Calif.)
Sterling Carter, Torrance (Calif.)