First Team All-State Offense
WR -- Steve Smith (Taft, Woodland Hills) 6-2, 185, Sr.
WR -- B.J. Vickers (Venice) 6-3, 200, Sr.
OL -- Sam Baker (Tustin) 6-5, 315, Sr.
OL -- Travis Draper (Paso Robles) 6-5, 265, Sr.
OL -- Chad Macklin (Golden West, Visalia) 6-8. 275. Sr.
OL -- Matt Reese (Centennial, Bakersfield) 6-7, 330, Sr.
OL -- Drew Radovich (Mission Viejo) 6-5, 285, Sr.
QB -- Kyle Wright (Monte Vista, Danville) 6-3, 195, Sr.
RB -- Reggie Bush (Helix, La Mesa) 5-11, 185, Sr.
RB -- Maurice Drew (De La Salle, Concord) 5-7, 190, Sr.
RB -- Terrell Jackson (Centennial, Corona) 5-9, 185, Jr.
First Team All-State Defense
DL -- Sedrick Ellis (Chino) 6-3, 260, Sr.
DL -- Lawrence Jackson (Inglewood) 6-4, 245, Sr.
DL -- Brandon Mebane (Crenshaw, Los Angeles) 6-2, 260, Sr.
DL -- Alex Morrow (Rancho Cotate, Rohnert Park) 6-6, 265, Sr.
LB -- Ryan Abbott (Valley Christian, San Jose) 6-4, 215, Sr.
LB -- Michael Okwo (Mira Costa, Manhattan Beach) 6-1. 215, Sr.
LB -- Drean Rucker (Canyon Springs, Moreno Valley) 6-1, 230, Sr.
LB -- Thomas Williams (Vacaville) 6-3, 225, Sr.
DB -- Randy Estes (Los Alamitos) 6-2, 190, Jr.
DB -- Damon Jenkins (De La Salle, Concord) 5-11, 175, Sr.
DB -- Desmond Reed (Temple City) 5-9, 180, Sr.
First Team All-State Specialists/Multi-Purpose
K -- Sergio Aguayo (San Jacinto) 6-1, 175, Sr.
P -- Billy Vinnedge (Arroyo Grande) 6-1, 165, Sr.
QB/LB -- Tyler Clutts (Clovis) 6-3, 230, Sr.
WR/KR -- Derrick Jones (Poly, Long Beach) 6-0, 170, Jr.
RB/DB -- Dennis Keyes (Birmingham, Lake Balboa) 6-2, 190, Sr.
RB/WR -- Whitney Lewis (St. Bonaventure, Ventura) 6-2, 228, Sr.
RB/KR -- Louis Rankin (Lincoln, Stockton) 6-0, 180, Sr.
RB/DB -- Clifton Smith (Edison, Fresno) 5-11, 175, Sr.
Second Team All-State Offense
WR -- Alex Ghebrasalassie (Bonita Vista, Chula Vista) 6-3, 190, Sr.
TE -- Chris Barrett (Tustin) 6-5, 240, Sr.
OL -- Bobby Byrd (Oceanside) 6-7, 290, Sr.
OL -- Russell Foster (Bonita Vista, Chula Vista) 6-6, 300, Sr.
C -- Hercules Satele (Poly, Long Beach) 6-4, 250, Sr.
OL -- Erik Sandie (De La Salle, Concord) 6-1, 255, Sr.
OL -- Kevin Weeks (Miramonte, Orinda) 6-6, 275, Sr.
QB -- T.C. Ostrander (Menlo-Atherton, Atherton) 6-3, 200, Sr.
RB -- Dallas Bernstine (Bethel, Vallejo) 5-10, 185, Sr.
RB -- Yonus Davis (Skyline, Oakland) 5-9, 170, Sr.
RB -- Daniel Dixon (El Modena, Orange) 5-11, 200, Sr.
Second Team All-State Defense
DL -- Matt Malele (Carson) 6-1, 300, Sr.
DL -- Alex Puccinelli (Notre Dame, Sherman Oaks) 6-3, 225, Sr.
DL -- Louie Stanfill (Jesuit, Carmichael) 6-4, 245, Sr.
LB -- Lance Broadus (Taft, Woodland Hills) 6-3, 225, Sr.
LB -- Salo Faraimo (Vista) 6-1, 205, Sr.
LB -- Chris Purtz (Clovis West, Fresno) 6-1, 215, Sr.
LB -- Jason Turner (St. Francis, La Canada) 6-2, 215, Sr.
DB -- Joe Cowan (St. John Bosco, Bellflower) 6-4, 195, Sr.
DB -- Freddie Parrish (Poly, Long Beach) 6-1, 185, Sr.
DB -- Mickey Pimentel (Marian Catholic, San Diego) 6-1, 190, Sr.
DB -- Brandon Sanders (Skyline, Oakland) 5-9, 170, Sr.
Second Team All-State Specialists/Multi-Purpose
K -- Jesse Ainsworth (Thousand Oaks) 6-3, 200, Sr.
P -- Mike Hughes (Canyon Springs, Moreno Valley) 6-1, 190, Sr.
WR/DB -- Sam Cheatham (San Leandro) 5-11, 175, Sr.
WR/KR -- Sam DeSa (Monte Vista, Danville) 5-11, 180, Sr.
QB/K -- Matt Engle (El Segundo) 6-0, 170, Sr.
QB/RB -- Jeff Kline (Los Alamitos) 6-2, 185, Sr.
WR/KR -- Damon Morton (J.W. North, Riverside) 6-0, 170, Jr.
RB/DB -- C.J. Wallace (Grant, Sacramento) 6-0, 190, Sr.
All-State Team Special Mention
(Large schools only; seniors Only)
OL Nick Allotta (Rancho Bernardo, San Diego); DB Ray Bass (Centennial, Corona); RB-DB Aaron Brown (Oxnard); OL-DL Kevin Brown (Poly, Long Beach); RB-DB Chris Buck (Jesuit, Carmichael); RB Charles Burnley (Valencia); QB Britt Cecil (De La Salle, Concord); OL-DL John Chan (De La Salle, Concord); DL Chris Cole (Mission Viejo); LB J.C. Cooper (Carlsbad); WR-DB Quintin Daniels (Loyola, Los Angeles); QB Dennis Dixon (San Leandro); K Jeff Ferrier (Mission Viejo); QB Tommy Grady (Edison, Huntington Beach); DB Leon Hall (Vista); LB Travis Howell (Los Gatos); RB-DB Daymeion Hughes (Crenshaw, Los Angeles); WR Bryan Huston (Agoura); QB Richard Irvin (Muir, Pasadena); RB-DB Jeremy Jones (Piedmont Hills); OL Ryan Kalil (Servite, Anaheim); QB Sam Keller (San Ramon Valley, Danville); DL Junior Lemau'u (Poly, Long Beach); QB-RB Shane Lopes (Dos Pueblos, Goleta); QB-DB Marcel Marquez (Notre Dame, Sherman Oaks); LB Lee Martin (St. Bonaventure, Ventura); WR Jose Perez (Oceanside); QB-RB Ricky Reyes (Pioneer, Whittier); RB Rafael Rice (Mater Dei, Santa Ana); LB Dominic Rickard (Mater Dei, Santa Ana); OL/DL Mike Rodriguez (Oak Grove, San Jose); RB Curtis Rudd (Victor Valley, Victorville); OL Jibri Sharp (Skyline, Oakland); LB William Snead (Skyline, Oakland); DL Matt Spanos (Corona); QB Shane Steichen (Oak Ridge, El Dorado Hills); OL Trent Steinhauser (Los Alamitos); WR Brett Swain (Carlsbad); DL Josh Taunauu (Poly, Long Beach); DB Adam Tenney (Carlsbad); DL Grant Thomas (Buchanan, Clovis); QB/DB Brandon Ting (Logan, Union City); WR/DB Ryan Ting (Logan, Union City); DB A.J. Tuitele (Banning, Wilmington); LB Mark Washington (Poly, Long Beach); WR Bobby Whithorne (Santa Margarita); RB-DB Derrick Williams (St. John Bosco, Bellflower); DL Justin Williams (Mission Viejo).
2002 All-State Football Season Honors
Team of the Year: De La Salle (Concord) 13-0
Player of the Year: Whitney Lewis (St. Bonaventure, Ventura) RB-WR
Coach of the Year: Kevin Rooney (Notre Dame, Sherman Oaks) 14-0
Game of the Year: Los Alamitos 21, Newhall Hart 21
Upset of the Year: Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 21, Poly (Long Beach) 20
1. A total of 30 players are chosen per team with at least one receiver, at least five offensive linemen, at least two running backs, at least three defensive linemen, three linebackers and three defensive backs with one kicker, a punter and six multi-purpose players to create the most flexibility possible.
2. Players from schools that were considered Div. III for our state football rankings also are considered for medium schools all-state. Players from schools that were Div. IV or Div. V for our state rankings are considered for small schools all-state.
3. When it's deemed no deserving punter can be found, a seventh multi-purpose player is named.
4. Since deserving sophomore linemen are so difficult to find, a 25-player team for sophomores regardless of position is chosen.
5. We realize many outstanding juniors and sophomores have not yet emerged as standouts for a myriad of reasons. Those underclass players who've been chosen need to understand there are just as many players not on these lists who may develop into more outstanding players in the future.
6. Representation of championship teams and representation of each geographic area of the state are considered when selecting players, although getting as close to the best 30 on each team is the primary factor.
7. Newspaper all-star teams are another important aspect of the process, and not every team that was chosen by every newspaper is always available to us. There are times when we go against a newspaper's selection, but only when we have seen the same players involved.
8. High school accomplishment is considered above college recruitment, but there are positions (especially offensive linemen) where college recruitment becomes more of a factor.
9. No certificates or awards are currently presented to any of the all-state players, but if you're from a company that might be interested in becoming a titled sponsor of the all-state teams we'd be glad to arrange to have actual awards handed out. To find out more information about becoming the title sponsor of the all-state football teams as well as our various state team of the year honors, call (209) 463-9050.