1. (1) Mitty (San Jose) 23-2
2. (2) Piedmont 22-2
3. (4) Pinewood (Los Altos Hills) 18-4
4. (3) Ursuline (Santa Rosa) 22-2
5. (5) Berkeley 18-5
6. (7) Vacaville 25-1
7. (8) Amador Valley (Pleasanton) 18-5
8. (9) Marin Catholic (Kentfield) 20-6
9. (10) Notre Dame (Salinas) 22-2
10. (11) Carondelet (Concord) 20-2
11. (6) Healdsburg 23-2
12. (12) Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland) 20-2
13. (13) Technical (Oakland) 20-3*
14. (14) Moreau Catholic (Hayward) 20-2
15. (15) Kennedy (Richmond) 22-3
16. (16) Soquel 20-4
17. (18) Miramonte (Orinda) 16-6
18. (nr) Presentation (San Jose) 19-6
19. (nr) St. Mary's (Berkeley) 17-7
20. (17) Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco) 16-8
Notes & Highlights
The best team right now in the Bay Area just might be Pinewood, not Mitty or Piedmont. The Panthers just took apart previous No. 3 Ursuline of Santa Rosa, 70-52, on Saturday even though Monica Mertle of the Bears scored 27. They made 11 from three-point land and continue to look like they'll break the state record this season for most three-pointers made for a team. The loss might actually prove to be good for Ursuline as it will show that team what it needs to work on for the upcoming NCS and NorCal Div. IV playoffs.
Last year, Oakland Tech had one of the top freshmen in the Bay Area in Alexis Gray-Lawson. This year, the Bulldogs have another freshman on the rise in Danielle Larkins. In last week's 70-39 romp by Tech over a Skyline team that it lost to during the first-round of the Oakland Athletic League schedule, Larkins knocked down 19 points to go with the game-high of 21 by Gray-Lawson.
Berkeley stayed hot in the aftermath of its recent win over Amador Valley with an 81-56 romp past an Alameda team that was 17-4 coming into the game. Donesha Wright led the Yellowjackets with 20 points. Alameda rebounds to knock off El Cerrito, 79-71, as Kayleigh Calandri made seven from three-point land and totaled 29 points. Both Wright and Calandri are sophomores. We couldn't move Berkeley, as hot as it is, past Ursuline in this week's rankings since Ursuline has a win over Berkeley.
Healdsburg was another top 10 team to lose last week as the Greyhounds lost one, 38-36, to El Molino of Forestville.