About four months ago Colin McCarthy of Clearwater Central Catholic (FLA.) was virtually an unknown, now he is one of the most sought after linebackers in the state. In just 5 games this season (he missed 1 due to suspension, 1 due to injury and 1 was canceled) he has 51 solo tackles, 32 assists, 3 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, and 1 fumble recovery. On offense he has 27 catches for 417 yards and 4 touchdowns. McCarthy has made a name for himself with his bone crushing hits and smash-mouth style of play. He is also ready to cut his list of about 15 schools down to 7.
The new list reads like this:
1) Ohio State- "I like the coaches, we get along great. The winning tradition and the fact they have great linebackers and three of them are graduating."
2) Miami- "I gotta go with the prestige and the fact they produce great linebackers"
3) Penn State- "That's where I grew up, those are my old stomping grounds"
4) Georgia Tech.- "Coach BJ is exciting, I talk to him all the time and I like the city."
5) Nebraska- "I like the tradition and the hard-nosed style of play, also they have recruited me since my sophomore year."
6) Indiana- "They were the first to offer and I like that they still call and keep in touch all the time. I also like the college town."
7) South Florida- "I really like Coach Leavitt, he's straight forward and I know he'll always be honest with me. The school is only about five minutes from my house and I would love to play at Raymond James."
This is the list for now and McCarthy said in about a month he could make it a top five. One of the more notable schools to fall out of favor with him was NC State. McCarthy said for some reason they just have not called him in a while.
Of the schools mentioned McCarthy has only been to three of them Ohio State, USF and Miami. However, he is in the works of scheduling visits to the other five.
A final note to remember is McCarthy's final visit will be Georgia Tech at the end of January. He runs on emotion and Georgia Tech will definitely have a chance to win him over in that final weekend.
Colin McCarthy Trims List to Seven
Sun State Football Top Stories
Bradley Comfortable with DecisionFreshman informed Roy Williams on Tuesday evening.
Inside Carolina2:40 PM
Report: Ward, Broncos Talking ExtensionT.J. Ward wants to finish his career in Denver.
Mile High Huddle1:44 PM
Big Ten Powers Deliver Offers to DavisThe offers continue to pour in for 2019 Florida-based cornerback, Jaden Davis, who recently received the green light from a pair of Big Ten powers.
Scout Football11:56 AM
Fantasy Football Mailbag: Backfields of NoteAlong with answering your #fantasymail questions, Jamey Eisenberg looks at the backfields for Detroit, Tampa Bay and Denver as offseason workouts are in full swing.
Scout Fantasy11:39 AM