With the 2009-10 season now in the books, Louisiana Basketball Report and Louisiana Prep Insider has decided to list the top 50 players in the senior class.
In what has been long awaited and much needed list, we have officially released what we feel is a list of the top 50 players in this years 2010 class. In the coming days and weeks, we will also list the top 20 for the 2011, 2012, and 2013 classes. We will also introduce the top 10 for next years crop of freshman for the 2014 class. So enjoy, and stay tuned. Now it is time for the rankings.
In a class that has had several Division-1 players sign this year, none stood out more in 2009-10 than Peabody’s Markel Brown. The 6’5” 180 lb senior and Oklahoma State signee really made his presence felt this year as he led the Warhorses to a 40-0 record and the 4A state title. With two highly impressive games in the Cajun Dome in March, Brown was clearly the best player at the Top 28 and all season as he led Peabody with a 32.5 ppg scoring average as well as a 41-0 record.
Brown is a super-athletic combo-guard that can handle the ball very well, defends, gets to the rim and finishes very well with acrobatic dunks and has a developing and very good 3-point shot. Brown was also named 4A State Player of the Year as well as the Louisiana Mr. Basketball winner as well as ESPN Rise All-American 2nd team.
The state’s #2 rated player is Christian Life Academy’s Langston Galloway from Baton Rouge, a St. Joseph’s (PA) signee. What really separated Galloway, a 6’3” 185 lb guard from the rest of the top five players is his ability to make his teammates better and the fact the he does all the little things so well that helps his team win.
Yes, Galloway is an elite scorer and very good defender, but what he does when his shot isn’t falling is special. His ability to defend the basketball is impressive. He can score almost at will and can get to the rim with the best of them, but to dive on floors for loose balls, take a key charge, make the extra pass and also make the big shot, that is what makes him the state’s second-rated player. For the season Galloway averaged 26 ppg as well as 6 rebounds and 4 assists as he helped CLA and himself to get the Crusaders 4th state title in five years.
Coming in as the #3 rated player is LSU signee Matt Derenbecker from Metairie Park Country Day in Metairie. Derenbecker is a 6’7” 195 lb sharp-shooting guard that can flat score the basketball. At 6’7” his ability to look over the defense and pass the ball is really one of his strong points. He also handles the ball well enough to play the point at times.
A two-time winner of the Gatorade Player of the Year award in Louisiana, the lefty led the 2009 Cajuns of Country Day to the state title along with current LSU player Eddie Ludwig. One of Derenbecker’s best skills is the way he gets his teammates involved. Everybody knows he can score but when he is doubled and tripled teamed, he passes the ball to open teammates extremely well. An underrated ball-handler, he can also get to the rim and finish as well. For the season Derenbecker averaged 25.5 ppg in his senior season.
The 4th rated senior in this year’s 2010 class is one of the state’s most successful players in terms of win/losses and state titles. Cedric Jenkins, the 6’2” 180 lb. scoring machine from LaPlace and Riverside Academy led the Rebels to their first state title in basketball in 2010. The Southern Mississippi signee helped lead a team that also boasted the state’s top rated sophomore Ricardo Gathers. Jenkins is a kid that battled through several injuries during high school and still had great seasons while at Reserve Christian and now Riverside.
Coach Timmy Byrd called Jenkins “one of the best players I have ever coached” after the senior led his team to the state title. Besides being able to shoot the basketball, he can also handle it, defend it and is an underrated passer as well. With unlimited range on his shot, he was also defended tight, which allowed him to show his improved athleticism. Cedric really improved his stock this year. Always considered a top 10 player he really proved in the Cajun Dome that he is worthy of the #4 spot. On a team that had several talented players Jenkins averaged 19.9 ppg and 6 assists.
Rounding out the top five is another Oklahoma State signee in Brian Williams from Glen Oaks High School in Baton Rouge. Williams is an athletic wing that can really get up and down the court and isn’t afraid to make a highlight reel dunk or take a big shot. The 6’5” 200 lb guard is definitely going to be a great fit for the Cowboys of OSU and coach Travis Ford.
A bouncy kid, who can score the basketball with the best of the state, Williams was battled with injuries this year, which may have kept him from being a top 3 player. Even with a stress fracture in his shin, Williams still averaged 18.0 ppg and led his team to its 2nd straight Top 28 berth.
Top 50 Class of 2010 Players in Louisiana
1. Markel Brown- Peabody Magnet HS, Alexandria, LA Oklahoma State signee 6’5” 180 lbs. Guard – athletic guard that can handle, defend, shoot and score very well.
2. Langston Galloway- Christian Life Academy, Baton Rouge, LA St. Joseph’s (PA) Signee 6’3” 185 lbs. Guard- multi-skilled combo guard that can score and get to the rim with ease.
3. Matt Derebecker- Metairie Park Country Day, Metairie, LA LSU signee- 6’7” 195 lbs Guard/Forward- high IQ with a great shot and great feel for the game.
4. Cedric Jenkins- Riverside Academy, LaPlace, LA Southern Miss signee- 6’2” 180 lbs. PG- athletic shooter with deep range.
5. Brian Williams- Glen Oaks HS, Baton Rouge, LA Oklahoma State signee- 6’5” 200 lbs. Guard- quick, bouncy wing with improving skill set and very talented scorer.
6. Torrey Dixon- Vidalia HS, Vidalia, LA Baton Rouge Community College Signee 6’5” 180 lbs. Guard- athletic wing that is smooth and can flat score the ball.
7. J.J. Thomas- Scotlandville HS, Baton Rouge, LA Prep School 6’4” 210 lbs. SF- Undersized, athletic post that plays bigger than his size and dominates the boards.
8. Shavon Coleman- Thibodaux HS Thibodaux, LA Undecided 6’4” 180 lbs. SG-Athletic wing that can score from any spot on the floor, with improving 3-point range.
9. Thomas “TJ” Williams- Jonesboro-Hodge HS, Jonesboro, LA Texas-San Antonio signee 6’7” 230 lbs Forward- agile big man, that can dominate the paint and score with good post skills, excellent rebounder.
10. Ronald McGhee- Istrouma HS Baton Rouge, LA North Texas signee 6’5” 180 lbs SG- Long, wiry wing with deadly 3-points shot and great mid-range game.
11. Patrick Swilling Jr.- Brother Martin HS New Orleans, LA St. Joseph’s (PA) signee 6’3” 185 lbs. Guard- Great penetrator and solid defender who defends very well.
12. Jarvis Ray- O. Perry Walker HS New Orleans, LA Texas Christian University signee Guard- Long, athletic wing can handle and finishes well above the rim and good shooter.
13. LaDon Carter- Richwood HS Monroe, LA Southwest Mississippi Community College signee 6’7” 185 lbs Forward- Super athletic forward that scores off tip-ins and a lot of highlight reel dunks.
14. Chip Armelin- Sulphur HS Sulphur, LA Undecided 6’2” 185 lbs. Guard- athletic lefty, with a knack for scoring the basketball.
15. Dominic Scelfo- Jesuit HS New Orleans, LA Cornell University signee 6’1” PG- high IQ point guard that is in the mold of Steve Nash. Great passer, shooter and defender.
16. Tyler Washington- Port Allen HS Port Allen, LA Northwestern State (LA) signee 6’2” 175 lbs Guard- very athletic combo guard that is a lockdown defender and talented scorer.
17. Jordan Bedford- Covington HS, Covington, LA Baton Rouge Community College signee 6’0” 170 lbs- talented scorer that can just really score the basketball and a elite shooter.
18. Gary Stewart- Vidalia HS, Vidalia, LA Northwestern State (LA) signee 6’6” 200 lbs Forward- multi-skilled big man that has a good mid-range game and great rebounder.
19. Jacoby Colbert- Westgate HS New Iberia, LA Baton Rouge Community College Signee 6’4” 185 lbs SG- quick, athletic wing that can handle the ball and has great range.
20. Patrick Robinson- Christian Life Academy Northwestern State signee 6’5” 185 lbs SF- Athletic player with improving skill set, very hard worker that keeps getting better.
21. YonDarius Johnson- Plain Dealing HS Shreveport, LA Grambling State signee 6’3” 180 lbs SG- left handed shooter with good mid-range game and good skill set.
22. Mike Davis- Southwood HS Shreveport, LA Undecided 6’0” 165 lbs PG- smooth point that makes all the right decisions and has excellent ball handling skills.
23. Phillip Bickham- Covington HS Covington, LA Baton Rouge Community College 6’0” 170 lbs Guard- highly talented scorer that can really shoot the ball.
24. Michael Harrell- Southern Lab HS Baton Rouge, LA Southeastern Louisiana signee 5’8” 165 lbs PG- quick, scrappy guard that can really handle the ball and is a good passer.
25. Joseph Charles- Beau Chene HS Sunset, LA Undecided 5’10” PG- very good ball handler, excellent shooter and can really defend the basketball and passes well.
26. LaDarren Williams- Richwood HS Monroe, LA Delta State University 6’6” 185 lbs. SF- Athletic forward that has a good mid-range game and very good weak-side shot blocker.
27. Antonio Landers- Ouachita HS Monroe, LA John Wood Community College 6’2” 180 lbs Guard- athletic guard that can score going to the rim or with the jumper, solid defender.
28. McCall Tomeny- Christian Life Academy Baton Rouge, LA Undecided 6’5” 210 lbs SF- high IQ player with great mid-range jumper and nice feel for the game.
29. Donovon Williams- Cecilia HS Cecilia, LA Undecided 6’3” 180 lbs Guard- Athletic left handed shooter with great range and very good at creating off the dribble.
30. Trevon Lewis- Ellender HS Houma, LA Nicholls State (LA) signee 6’5” SF- very athletic small forward with a unique ability to score the basketball.
31. Keelon Lee- Abbeville HS Abbeville, LA Baton Rouge Community College signee 6’7” 200 lbs Forward- physical athletic post that can beat you with athleticism, speed, quickness or just pure toughness.
32. Corey Lacey- West Monroe HS Monroe, LA Southwest Community College signee 6’4” 180 lbs Guard- long, athletic wing that plays hard and with a lot of energy.
33. Dantrell Thomas- Many HS Many, LA Nicholls State (LA) signee 6’4” 185 lbs. Guard- tough, physical guard that can score in a variety of ways.
34. Xavier Blackburn- St. Thomas More HS New Iberia, LA Baton Rouge Community College signee 6’4” 190 lbs Guard/Forward- Combo type player with good feel for the game and can score inside and out.
35. Kaleb Knight- Christian Life Academy St. Gabriel, LA Grambling State signee 6’6” 190 lbs Forward- great defensive rebounder and shot block with a nice mid-range jumper
36. Elridge Moore- St. Augustine HS New Orleans, LA Nicholls State signee 6’4” 180 lbs Guard- Athletic, long and quick wing that can really defend and get to the rim.
37. Kalvin Balque- Peabody Magnet HS Alexandria, LA Kansas Community College signee 6’4” Guard- very active player with a high energy that can defend, is tough and super athletic.
38. Matt LeBato- Sulphur HS Sulphur, LA Undecided 6’7” 180 lbs SF- long, shooter with a high IQ for the game and good skill set.
39. Brady Hadden- Jesuit HS New Orleans, LA Undecided 6’4” 180 lbs. Guard/Forward- combo wing that is fundamentally sound, good shooter and very talented scorer.
40. Jerrod Brown- Terrebonne HS Houma, LA Frank Phillips College 6’5” 190 lbs Forward- tough, physical post that can score and rebound.
41. Ed Gallina- Riverside Academy LaPlace, LA Undecided 6’4” 185 lbs Guard- athletic shooter, with great passing skills and good feel for the game.
42. Cordarius Johnson- Red River HS Coushatta, LA Undecided 6’5” 210 lbs PF- very athletic, physical post that rebounds at a high level.
43. Hakeem “Doc” Welch- Alexandria Senior HS Alexandria, LA Undecided 6’2” 175 lbs SG- sharp-shooting guard with the ability to penetrate and defend.
44. Marceis Davis- Richwood HS Monroe, LA Undecided 6’2” 180 lbs Guard- elite shooter with decent athleticism and good defense.
45. Dashiell Franklin- Carroll HS Monroe, LA Undecided 6’4” 180 lbs SF- athletic forward that can handle, defend and score the ball.
46. CJ Johnson- Rapides HS LeCompte, LA Undecided 6’4” 185 lbs Guard- quick, long scorer with solid defense and natural feel for the game.
47. Andre Scott- Glen Oaks HS Baton Rouge, LA Undecided 6’2” 170 lbs SG- talented shooter that can pass and really defend.
48. Marlon Bell- Christian Life Academy Baton Rouge, LA Undecided 5’7” 150 lbs PG- small but quick PG that can handle, defend, shoot and really makes his teammates better.
49. PhaQuinton Lawson- Rayville HS Rayville, LA Undecided 6’2” 185 lbs Guard- very athletic wing that can score with the best in the state.
50. Jimmie Duplessis- Edna Karr HS New Orleans, LA Undecided 6’3” 180 lbs Guard- quick, energetic and defensive minded wing that can also score.
Bobby Sibley, owner of Louisiana Basketball Report, is one of the most well respected young coaches and talent scouts in the state of Louisiana, with a constant level of growing connections in the country. For more information on Bobby or to contact him about Louisiana prospects visit http://louisianabasketballreport.blogspot.com/