The state of Missouri has been on a role of producing top flight talent over the past few years. And while in years past you may have had one player stand out above the rest, such as Dorial Green-Beckham, Kony Ealy, Sheldon Richardson or Blaine Gabbert in years past, 2013 appears that it could still be in play for who could be the top prospect in the Show-Me State as the season gets ready to start on Friday.
I am of the opinion that it is a three man race for 2013. John Burroughs RB Ezekiel Elliott, Staley QB Trent Hosick and Ft. Zumwalt South RB Chase Abbington look poised to make this a battle to the end to see who comes out on top.
Following a summer of scouting these prospects at various camps,combines and 7 on 7 events, here is a look at the Top 25 in Missouri overall for the Class of 2013, along with a Show-Me Sixty overall watch list.
1. Ezekiel Elliott 6'0"200 RB 4.42 St. Louis (MO) John Burroughs
- Elliott has been my top prospect for 2013 since the end of the 2012 season. The super athletic Elliott has done nothing to change his position during the off-season. Quite the opposite. Others finally found out about his talent as he attended summer events, and he has shot up in national rankings across the board. Committed to Ohio State.
2. Trent Hosick 6'2" 225 QB 4.6 Kansas City (MO) Staley
- Probably the most natural field general on the high school level I have ever seen. Besides being, big,strong, fast, athletic and possessing a strong, accurate arm, Hosick ‘s leadership ability, how he runs an offense and "IT" factor have him in the hunt for the top player position. He helped his cause on a national level practicing with Team USA during the summer. Committed to Missouri.
3. Chase Abbington 6'3" 217 RB 4.48 Ft. Zumwalt South
- Abbington's size,speed and athleticism has those who haven't seen him run the ball much believing his college position is at Linebacker. While, he is more then capable of playing that position in high school or college and being successful, he possesses special running and receiving skills that have him destined to play running back at Mizzou. Great feet, hips,vision and speed in the open field. Committed to Missouri.
4. Anthony Sherrils 6'0" 170 WR/CB 4.38 Hogan Prep
- Sherrils is a phenomenal athlete who can play multiple positions on offense,defense and special teams. He is a threat on offense every time he touches the ball and will be carrying it as well as catching it his senior year. He reminds me of a little bigger version of Anthony Pierson. His forty time is the fastest among MO prospects in 2013. Committed to Missouri.
5. Nick Ramirez 6'2" 230 LB 4.6 Lee's Summit West
- Ramirez is like a Tasmanian Devil on the field flying around and causing havoc for opponents. He is physical, a big hitter and also has the skills to cover receivers and backs in pass coverage. Great on the blitz and plays at top speed every play.
6. Antar Thompson 6'4" 265 DE/DT 4.8 Maplewood
- Big Antar is a physical,athletic defensive lineman who has a great motor and a little bit of a mean streak on the field. He never left the field as a junior and his play earned him and early offer from the Tigers which he ultimately accepted. Committed to Missouri.
7. Jamone Boyd 6'4" 255 DE 4.68 Lee's Summit West
-Once Boyd's football skills catch up to his athleticism he will be dangerous. This could be the year for him as he is among the more heavily recruited prospects in the state still uncommitted. Considering Arkansas, Missouri, others.
8. Maliek Collins 6'2" 275 DT 4.8 Kansas City (MO) Center
-Collins flew under the radar playing at Center, although he earned first team All-Conference on both offense and defense. He was the top uncommitted prospect who participated at Mizzou's one day camp in Kansas City. His performance ultimately paid off in a Tiger offer. Collins has good size, a great motor and speed and is explosive as his 30" vertical jump at 275lbs gives evidence to. He has the athleticism to run the ball on the high school level, but is too valuable along both lines. Comparable to Thompson although shorter. Uncommitted.
9. Brandon Minor 6'1" 240 LB/RB McCluer North
- Minor has been a standout performer since he was a freshman and led Chaminade in tackles in his first year of high school. Super athletic with great speed,hips, ability to change direction and strength. Strong against the run and very good in coverage. Also a powerful runner with good speed on offense. I believe he could play RB or Fullback on the college level. Uncommitted
10.. Eric Beisel 6'3" 235 LB 4.6 Rockwood Summit
- Beisel has been a big hitting linebacker with great straight line speed since he was a sophomore. Over the summer he showed improved ability to pass cover and play multiple linebacker positions. Plays with a great intensity. Committed to Missouri.
11. Alec Abeln 6'4" 270 OC 5.3 SLUH
-Alec first caught my attention at the Show-Me Combine as a sophomore. He showed good feet, technique and athleticism despite being 293lbs. He got into better shape and it showed on the field as a junior. He is an explosive run blocker and has great footwork in pass protection. Committed to Missouri.
12. Harneet Gill 6'7" 265 OT 5.1 Francis Howell
- Gill is the most athletic offensive lineman in the state for 2013. He has a 34" vertical jump and runs almost like a TE. His upside is really good and his best football is ahead of him. Gill has the frame to be a lean 300lber and keep the athleticism once he gets in the weight room in college.
13. Jordan Willis 6'5" 260 DE 4.6 Rockhurst
- Willis is a player who could easily jump into the top 10 by the end of the season if reports I have heard about him over the summer are true. Did not get to see Willis as he did not attend any camps or combines. Very good first step and explosive off the line. Does a good job getting to the QB. Committed to Kansas State.
14. Aarion Penton 5'10" 175 CB 4.49 CBC
- Penton does just about everything on the football field. He plays offense,defense and special teams at a high level. I like him better as an offensive player at this point, but it looks like he will be playing cornerback in college. Committed to Missouri.
15. Corey Winfield 6'1" 175 WR 4.47 Riverview Gardens
- While the nickname "Helicopter" has been used already, perhaps Winfield can be described as the "Harrier Jet" because of his 40" vertical and ability to run fast. Winfield's athleticism is off the charts. He also broad jumps over 10 feet. He has great hands and makes difficult catches look easy. His specialty is skying above defenders to make the grab. The offense he has played in has made it tough for some teams to gauge his overall receiver skills. Committed to Northern Illinois.
16. Zach Hannon 6'4" 300 OG 5.4 Rockhurst
- Hannon is a big, physical run blocker whose skills will fit him well in the run oriented Big 10. He has a good motor and plays with a lot of attitude. Committed to Nebraska.
17. Joey Burkett 6'3" 200 LB 4.7 Jefferson City
- Burkett is a tremendous athlete who is an outstanding pole vaulter in high school. Great size, who will need to get bigger, but runs very well and will be Jeff City's top defender as a senior. Committed to Missouri.
18. Jack Kurzu 6'4" 290 OG 5.4 MICDS
- Big Jack uses his size and strength well in his run blocking. He has worked hard to improve his footwork and quickness. Hard worker and good technique. Committed to Oklahoma State
19. Derrick Mitchell 6'1" 175 4.5 Vashon
-Mitchell is a talented multi-sport athlete. He has played a bit of everything for the Wolverines- QB,RB,WR,S- and continues to get better. I thought that S would be his college position, but he showed really nice receiver skills in 7 on 7 over the summer.
20. Andre Harris 6'0" 170 WR/CB 4,44 Kirkwood
- Andre surprised me at the Elite Football Combine back in February by running a 4.44 forty, 4.1 shuttle and vertical jumping 34" on day in testing. It did not take schools long to finally find out about him and his speed and athleticism. Better yet, he can play some football. Could be a sleeper of the top 20. Committed to Iowa.
21. Kellen Ash 6'2" 200 LB 4.55 Parkway South
- Kellen's is just a good all-around football player. Nose for the ball, good speed, long arms, runs,hits, gets after the QB and he can pass cover. Committed to KU.
22. Gabe Kuhn 6'4" 265 OT 5.3 Lafayette
- Kuhn is possibly the most underrated player in this class by college. Great footwork,technique and athleticism. Excellent pass protector who never gets beat. One of the best kick steps you will see. Has some mid-level offers. Some school is going to get lucky.
23. Donnie White 6'2" 215 4.7 De Smet
- White is a bit of a tweener at DE and OLB, but there is no denying his football skills, which is why he has 10 offers to this point. Very quick off the edge and knows how to get to the QB.
24. A.J. Logan 6'2" 300 DT 5.2 Columbia Rock Bridge
- Just a big space-eater who clogs the middle and fights off interior linemen to make plays. Great against the run.
25. Jonathan Parker 5'10" 180 RB/DB 4.49 CBC
- Parker is one of the fastest running backs in the state for 2013. Good athlete and plays physical. Has multiple D1 offers.
Best of the Rest
Kenny James 5'11" 190 WR Columbia Rock Bridge
Eric Greely 6'0" 177 CB Liberty
Austin Boice 6'5" 280 OT Lamar
Cecil Bratton 6'1" 296 DT St. Joseph Central
Tony Lashley 6'1" 217 LB Rockhurst
Chris Sutton 5'11" 170 Jefferson City
Aren Martin 6'0" 180 ATH Waynesville
Tray Mitchell 5'11" 170 RB Holt
Koron Crump 6'4" 210 DE/TE Normandy
Craig Scott 6'1" 170 WR Park Hill South
Chance Woosley 6'8" 270 OT Lighthouse Christian
Max Sidney 6'8" 281 OT Marquette
Myle McIntyre 6'3" 300 OG McClure North
Lucas Nikolaisen 6'5" 215 TE De Smet
Dakota Brake 6'2" 270 DT Springfield Glendale
Nick Wunderli 6'4" 300 OG De Smet
Devin Roberts 6'2" 180 WR/DB Warrenton
Bert Birdsall 5'11" 175 DB CBC Committed to Miami, OH
T.J. Williams 6'1" 200 LB CBC Committed to Miami, OH
Marcus Jones 5'11" 177 CB North Kansas City
Antwynn Beavers 5'9" 170 RB Liberty North
Brandon Miller 6'0" 185 S Lee's Summit West
Joe Gibson 6'2" 270 OG Rockhurst
Jordan Frazier 6'4' 230 TE Lighthouse Christian
Ed Richey 5'11" 186 S Kirkwood
TJ Lafaver 6'2" 190 QB Warrenton
Korey Kilgore 5'11" 190 RB/S Blue Springs South
Trey Ervins 5'9" 180 RB Blue Springs South
Damarco Stallings 6'8" 280 OT Vashon
PJ Patton 6'1" 230 LB Harrisonville
Calvin Munson 6'2" 220 LB Francis Howell
Armani Perkins 6'0" 180 DB Hazelwood East
John Voit 6'4" 215 DE Lafayette
Cole Davis 6'3" 190 QB Kearney