A Look at the Current Transfer Rules


A transfer student will have immediate eligibility at the new school provided he transfers under one of the following circumstances and provided he was eligible to represent the school from which he transferred.

A. The student and his parents have a bona fide change of residence from the attendance area of the former school into the attendance area of the new school.

1. The move must be with the intent of being permanent.

2. INTERPRETATION: Sometimes it is very difficult to define or to determine just what constitutes a bona fide change of residence. Under no circumstances can a family have two residences for eligibility purposes. The following are necessary in a bona fide change of residence:

(1) The change must be made with the intent of being permanent.

(2) The head(s) of the family must make the change. The entire household and furniture must be moved into the new residence which was an unoccupied house or apartment. (3) The original residence must be clearly closed as the residence of the family and must not be used by the family. (4) When parents are not legally separated and when they are residing in different places, the residence is generally considered the residence formerly used by both parents. It is difficult to determine intent when residences are of short duration. Therefore, should the family move out of the attendance area before one calendar year has passed, the student will be declared ineligible on the date of the move. When there is doubt, the principal should present all facts to the League Office. The League Office will decide on each case individually, considering the facts of each case.

3. If a student established residence with a person other than a parent prior to enrollment in the seventh grade and this residence is not broken, it will be considered the same as residing with a parent.

4. The transfer of school following a bona fide change of residence must take place prior to the beginning of the following school year. If a student transfers at any other time, he will be ineligible for one calendar year.

5. INTERPRETATION: If because of changes in attendance area lines by the governing board a student's residence is placed in another attendance area, this will be considered the same as a bona fide change of address.

B. A student legally transfers to another school in the same district at the beginning of his/her 9th grade year provided the student and his/her family live in the school district.

C. A student transfers from a nonmember school to a member school.

1. The student's parents must live in the attendance area of the member school.

2. The student cannot have participated in the sport in which he wishes to be certified during the current school year at the school from which he is transferring. If a student transfers from out-of-state to in-state with a bona fide change of residence, this rule is not in effect.

3. The student must have been enrolled in the nonmember school for at least 45 days prior to transferring.

1. A student who attends an IB or Magnet School program offered by the school district will have a one time move to that program and a one time move back to his/her home school without loss of eligibility. The move to or from these programs must be made the first day of school. A move at any other time will require a one-year waiting period for the student to be eligible.

E. A student, whose parents legally separate and establish residency in different areas, has the option of establishing eligibility with either parent.

1. The legal separation must be by court action.

2. A transfer of schools must take place prior to the beginning of the following school year.

3. If an in-state student later transfers to the other parent, he will have a one year's waiting period unless the change of residence is necessary because of the death of the other parent.

4. If the separation and/or divorce occurred prior to the student entering the 9th grade and has been for a period longer than one year, the student may move to the other parent one time and be given immediate eligibility.

2. A student is placed by the courts in an orphanage or foster home.

1. Written notice of the assignment must be filed in the League Office.

2. Transfer must be to the school in whose attendance area the orphanage or foster home is located.

G. A student has parents who are citizens of the United States, but reside outside the contiguous United States. Eligibility will be at the school in whose attendance area his temporary guardian resides. He may not transfer from this school unless there is a bona fide change of residence on the part of the temporary guardian.

H. If both parents are deceased, the student will become eligible on the day the legal guardianship papers are recorded in the office of the clerk of court.

I. If a handicapped student is assigned to another school to take a special program not offered in his home school, he will have immediate eligibility at the new school.

J. When the option of attending a diploma granting vocational school exists and the transfer is made at the end of the eighth grade, the student is eligible at the diploma granting vocational school immediately. Students entering a vocational school at any other time will be required to wait a calendar year before being eligible. A student who transfers for any reason other than those listed above will have a one-year's waiting period.

SC Prep Nation Top Stories