Class of 2008
Top 5 Wide Receivers
1. A.J. Green (Summerville HS) 6'4 195 lbs.- Green isn't only the top WR prospect in South Carolina but he very likely appears to be the top prospect in all of the nation. A.J. possesses amazing athletic ability and makes the hardest catches and plays look fairly easy. Last year Green was looking to lead the Green Wave deep into the playoffs once again but fell at the hands of Dutch Fork in the second round 35-21. With a great portion of the team returning, look for Green to try and help power Summerville back to the state championship again this season. Committed to Georgia.
2. Marquan Jones (Blythewood HS) 6'1 180 lbs.-Jones isn't the flashiest receiver we've seen in recent memory but the young man simply goes out and makes plays when it matters most. He possesses all the tools that you'd want in a wideout: strength, speed, fearlessness, great body control, and makes people miss after making the catch. Last year was a storybook year for Blythewood as in their first year of existence with a football team captured the AAA state championship. Blythewood had two spectacular games defeating Clinton in the semifinals and Timberland in the state championship winning by a total of just 3 points in both of those games. Committed to Clemson.
3. Randall Hawkins (Byrnes HS) 6'1 180 lbs.- Randall Hawkins was the go to guy for the Byrnes Rebels last year in their prolific passing attack. Hawkins was awarded the MVP awards for their huge victories over Glades Central (FL) and Moeller (OH). Hawkins may not possess the breakneck speed of others in the class but where he stands out is his ability to run excellent routes. He finds holes in the defense and makes life easier for his quarterback. Team those things with some great hands and you have the makings of a standout wide receiver in Hawkins. Should he improve his speed during this offseason his stock should rise even more as his recruitment has already started to heat up. Schools of Interest: Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Wake Forest
4. Jaron Brown (Cheraw HS) 6'2 185 lbs.- It was a tough call but we gave Hawkins the slight nod over Brown due to sheer numbers on the receiving front alone. From an athleticism and upside standpoint we'd give the nod to Brown it's just that Cheraw doesn't pass the ball much to showcase his abilities that often. Jaron is extremely impressive with his athleticism and size (he appears a lot larger in person than 6'2 185 lbs.). He stars on both sides of the ball for Cheraw and some are projecting him as a safety in college. Brown helped lead Cheraw to a AA state championship last season Regardless of where he ends up eventually on the collegiate level Brown could very well overtake the #2 spot in our rankings by season's end behind A.J. Green. Schools of Interest: Clemson (offer), Georgia, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina (offer), Tennessee (offer)
5. Chris Wallace (Greenville HS) 6'1 175 lbs.- Wallace like Hawkins comes from a program that airs the ball out early and often. Last year saw Wallace make 44 catches for 675 yards resulting in 13 touchdowns in the Red Raiders offense. Wallace has decent speed at 4.6 in the 40 but excels at running good routes and finding holes in the defense. On most teams Wallace would boast gaudy numbers but teamed with another strong WR in Tony Curtis he shares the ball in the wide open Red Raider offense. Schools of Interest: North Carolina State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest